Restrict Editing but allow Track Changes - Word 365

Anonymous
2019-02-27T09:33:21+00:00

I have created a Word doc in Word 365, with limit formatting to a selection of styles. For editing restriction, I want users to freely edit a part of the document, that's why I choose 'No changes (Read only)', and select a part of the document for Exceptions (freely edit). But when I do this, it disables the “track changes” option – which I do not want. I want users to have the ability to track their changes in the sections that they are allowed to edit.

Do you have any solutions for it?

Thanks in advance,

Giang

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-28T08:26:47+00:00

Hi Giang,

Thanks for writing back and taking your time for looking at video.

No, as the Track Changes option is disabled when the Restrict Editing is applied, the Accept and Reject option in Changes are also disabled. Steps provided in my first reply only works as workaround and can’t find the way for it (sorry for that).

In addition, we suggest you provide a feedback in Word UserVoice as the related team can take into consideration.

Regards,

Chitrahaas

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer recommended by moderator
Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2019-02-27T16:18:12+00:00

If everyone who will use the document has Office 2010 for Windows or later (or the most recent version of Word for Mac), I'll suggest a different form of protection.

First, turn off the "No Changes" protection, leaving only the restricted styles protection.

At the place where you want users to edit freely, insert a rich text content control (from the first button in the Controls group of the Developer ribbon). Then select the entire document, and click Group > Group on the Developer ribbon. The result of this is that nothing outside of the content control will be editable -- text editing won't be allowed, and the Font, Paragraph, and Styles sections of the Home ribbon and most items on the other tabs will be disabled when the cursor isn't in the content control. When the cursor is in the control, though, everything will be enabled, including Track Changes, except that the style selection will be restricted to whatever you've allowed.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

8 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T05:07:50+00:00

    Hi Giang,

    We agree about what you had stated, where Track Changes option is disabled when the editing is restricted (what we meant to say in first reply). But when I tested at our end by following the steps mentioned in the second part of the reply, found that changes made are tracked.

    We had recorded the video at our end, and you can access it via private message.

    Regards,

    Chitrahaas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T03:45:04+00:00

    Hi Jay,

    Thanks a lot. Just to clarify a bit, the areas that are grouped can't be editable (because I understood the opposite earlier).

    However, while working on it, although I still limit styles, I can change, remove existing styles. I can also add new styles. It means that limiting styles doesn't work here.

    Given that, although in the options of the file, I choose paste text using merge formatting and destination style theme, when I copy text from other documents elsewhere, or from pdf file, or from internet, if I use 'Paste' button, or 'Ctrl+V' shortcut, it keeps source style. I think it's because of no styles restriction that we adopt.

    You can ask me why I need all those of things. Actually, I'm creating templates for other users to apply, one group as composer, another as reviewer, and they normally use basic function of Office. They want to go wild when they compose or comment, but due to the dynamics of Office app, all formatting goes wild while they are working on this.

    Always appreciate further advice.

    Best,

    Giang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T00:37:21+00:00

    Thank you Stefan. I will try Jay's suggestion below and see, otherwise, we have to wait for Microsoft to update this. Giang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments