PowerPoint 2016 - Reuse Slides, cannot browse for files

Anonymous
2019-02-06T22:19:28+00:00

Hello,

I'm having a problem for one user in our organization.  When using PowerPoint 2016 (Office 365) we are not able to browse to a file when using the Reuse Slides function.  The pop-up window appears to be only looking for PowerPoint files on the local computer, SharePoint, and One Drive. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fetch file function or not.  Below are a few points of interest.

1.  This is only happening with a single user on the computer.  Other users can log in and use the function without issues.

2.  Starting PowerPoint in Safe Mode appears to resolve the problem.  However, disabling all add-ons does not affect the problem.

3.  For the affected user there is an additional "Reuse Slides" button on the ribbon, next to the "New Slide" button, that is not present for other users or in safe mode.

4.  This "Reuse Slides" button cannot be removed from the ribbon.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-12T20:02:23+00:00

This is the solution that worked for us.  I have not seen it posted yet so wanted to share:

Disable the below options:​

a.     File --> Options --> General --> Office Intelligent Services​

b.    File --> Options --> General --> Automatically show me design ideas.​

c.     File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center settings --> Privacy options --> Let Office connect to online Services from Microsoft to provide functionality that's relevant to your usage and preferences. ​

You might have to close powerpoint / reopen after the settings are in place... 

Testing after this and using the Reuse slides option from New Slides dropdown show the Browse option in the Search Bar. ​​

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-27T18:08:07+00:00

    I am running Microsoft Office 365 Business, Version 1901 (Build 11231.20174 Click-to-Run).

    The repair and uninstall did not help.

    Donabeth Urick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-26T22:22:00+00:00

    Hi All,

    Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay since I am on vacation.

    Since you cannot open any presentations using the "reuse slide" by clicking "browse", let's do some troubleshooting steps to see the result.

    You mentioned that it works when you open PowerPoint in safe mode and you have already disabled all add-ins.

    I would like to suggest you repair your Office applications to see if it helps: Repair an Office application

    Please also share your Office version numbers refer to this article:What version of Office am I using?

    If the repair still doesn't work, you can follow the steps below to do the uninstall.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-26T17:36:05+00:00

    Having the same issue!  I have to open another PowerPoint and copy/paste to get slide reused.  Very frustrating.

    The one thing I have noticed is that at home I do have access if I am NOT connected to my wireless network.

    That is not an open at work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-12T06:54:21+00:00

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Sorry for the wrong screenshot.

    My previous screenshot is test in Office Insider and I can open presentations from local and online location.

    But when I test in the latest version of Monthly Channel, I can only browse presentation from local:

    It doesn't have an option to browse the presentations in OneDrive or SharePoint directly.

    But you can use OneDrive sync client to sync files in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint down and you will get a OneDrive sync folder in local drive, you can also browse files in OneDrive sync folder.

    It seems that the feature is only available to Insider users. You may sill need to check the version of Office of the user and share it with me.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments