I can't type in a cell after cell merge in MS Word

Anonymous
2017-09-07T06:12:50+00:00

Hello,

I am working on a table in MS Word and trying to merge and change the cell direction to vertical on the very first column on the left of a table.  But when I merge 3 cells, I can no longer type text in that merged cell.

I was able to do this before and saved this document as such.  But now that I want to go back and edit the table, the text that was in that first merged column is gone and I can no longer type anything in it.  

Also, after I click the merge option, the little + symbol at the top left corner of my table disappears.  I have never had this happen to me before while using the tables feature

I tried restarting my computer but it is still doing this.

HELP!

Moved from:**Office /Word / Windows 10 / Unknown/other

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-09-17T21:23:17+00:00

Hello Melanie,

Microsoft is aware of the ongoing issue with the merged table cells not working correctly in Word 2016. As of September 11, a workaround was released and a resolution is tentatively scheduled for October 3. As a workaround, you can uninstall both the latest update for Word 2016: KB3213656 and KB4011039. Your merged table cells should return to normal after removing both KBs. For more information about this known issue, you can refer to this article. Follow the steps below on how to uninstall an update on Windows 10:

  1. Close Word 2016.
  2. Select the Start button.
  3. Go to Settings > Update & security > Update history > Uninstall updates.
  4. Look for KB3213656 and KB4011039.
  5. Select the updates and then click Uninstall.
  6. Click Yes or enter the administrator password to proceed with the removal process.
  7. Wait for the process to complete.

We're just here if you need further assistance.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T14:42:34+00:00

    Hello Melanie,

    Microsoft is aware of the ongoing issue with the merged table cells not working correctly in Word 2016. As of September 11, a workaround was released and a resolution is tentatively scheduled for October 3. As a workaround, you can uninstall both the latest update for Word 2016: KB3213656 and KB4011039. Your merged table cells should return to normal after removing both KBs. For more information about this known issue, you can refer to this article. Follow the steps below on how to uninstall an update on Windows 10:

    1. Close Word 2016.
    2. Select the Start button.
    3. Go to Settings > Update & security > Update history > Uninstall updates.
    4. Look for KB3213656 and KB4011039.
    5. Select the updates and then click Uninstall.
    6. Click Yes or enter the administrator password to proceed with the removal process.
    7. Wait for the process to complete.

    We're just here if you need further assistance.

    We can't use all the features on Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T14:34:57+00:00

    This was my first post so I didn't realize I was replying to her. Just trying to get info on a fix that is past the projected date. The IT suggestion would be great but IT doesn't want to have to deal with possible conflicts that arise from a "temporary fix" for thousands of computers when an official update to fix the problem is supposedly on the way any day now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-04T19:00:47+00:00

    It is now October 4, one day past the the anticipated date for the fix release. Any update on the release date?

    The IT at my state agency won't allow us to make updates on our own and they won't install "temporary workarounds" for thousands of employees.  I need to get my tables presentable for a report I have due. Please release a fix soon. There are many people in my department waiting on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-10-03T21:41:27+00:00

    The KB article hopefully projects today as the day: "We anticipate releasing the fix for this issue in the next monthly update, tentatively scheduled for October 3, 2017."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments