I can't type in a cell after cell merge in MS Word

Anonymous
2017-09-07T06:12:50+00:00

Hello,

I am working on a table in MS Word and trying to merge and change the cell direction to vertical on the very first column on the left of a table.  But when I merge 3 cells, I can no longer type text in that merged cell.

I was able to do this before and saved this document as such.  But now that I want to go back and edit the table, the text that was in that first merged column is gone and I can no longer type anything in it.  

Also, after I click the merge option, the little + symbol at the top left corner of my table disappears.  I have never had this happen to me before while using the tables feature

I tried restarting my computer but it is still doing this.

HELP!

Moved from:**Office /Word / Windows 10 / Unknown/other

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-09-17T21:23:17+00:00

Hello Melanie,

Microsoft is aware of the ongoing issue with the merged table cells not working correctly in Word 2016. As of September 11, a workaround was released and a resolution is tentatively scheduled for October 3. As a workaround, you can uninstall both the latest update for Word 2016: KB3213656 and KB4011039. Your merged table cells should return to normal after removing both KBs. For more information about this known issue, you can refer to this article. Follow the steps below on how to uninstall an update on Windows 10:

  1. Close Word 2016.
  2. Select the Start button.
  3. Go to Settings > Update & security > Update history > Uninstall updates.
  4. Look for KB3213656 and KB4011039.
  5. Select the updates and then click Uninstall.
  6. Click Yes or enter the administrator password to proceed with the removal process.
  7. Wait for the process to complete.

We're just here if you need further assistance.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-12T04:05:14+00:00

    Hi there

    I'm having exactly the same problem.  Started last week without warning.  Appears only to be on my work computer.  I've just asked a colleague to open the same document on her computer and she is able to edit the merged cell that I can't.

    It has to be an update issue - can we have this resolved please.

    L

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-11T05:14:47+00:00

    The merge feature works on another computer.  So the problem is specific to my work computer.  My workplace IT person is helping me out with this. 

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-10T23:41:21+00:00

    Hi Alinares,

    We noticed that the post has been idle for a while now. Do you still need assistance with the issue you're experiencing? If you still do, please provide us the information being asked by Devlin Sco so we can help you better.

    We're looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-07T17:55:43+00:00

    Good day Alinares,

    The challenge you're experiencing with editing a merged cell on Microsoft Word might be due to an app misconfiguration. It would be helpful if you can tell us more about your concern. Please verify the following:

    • Which version of Office are you using?
    • Have you noticed any app setting changes prior to the issue?
    • Is the issue isolated to a single document?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when opening the same document on a different PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

    Please follow the steps outlined from this article on how to find out the version of Office you're using.

    It would be a great help if you can also provide us a screenshot of the issue. Please refer to this thread for the steps on how to include a screenshot in your post.

    NOTE: Please do not include any personal information in the screenshot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments