A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
Hidden sections? Explain please.
Is this the same as Collapsed sections?
Look into the ability to do this without section breaks using the built-in headings. See the last entry on this page:
Why Use Word's Built-In Heading Styles? by Shauna Kelly
You can only link to the previous section if there is a previous section. There is no "command" to link to previous. There is a button in the Header/Footer Tools that is active if that option is available.
Hidden Sections aren't the same as Collapsed. I'm using the command
wrdDoc.Section(i).Range.Font.Hidden = True
to do this. The difference between the two is that Collapsed Sections leave the heading line visible, while Hidden Sections hide the heading line. For my purposes, Hidden Sections meets my needs. But, it's good to know about the Collapsed sections.
OK, I said command when I should have said button. The button won't work on my file. It seems to try to do what it needs to do, but it finishes gracefully without making any changes.
Do not use Next-Page Section breaks to create new pages.
These create new sections as well as new pages. Thus, with two next page section breaks you are displaying three pages, yes. But you are displaying the first page of three sections. In header/footer logic, you are not displaying the primary (odd-page) nor the even-page header for any of these three sections. That is, you have a document that contains nine header areas, and you are seeing three of those.
In your second document, your header in the second section is not linked to previous.
Please review again: Header/Footer Settings Recap
Headers and footers follow those rules. They have since Word 97, at least.
I need section breaks because another feature the doc has is to be able to have sections hidden.
In my second document, Word was not allowing me to link to the previous section. I would run the command to link them, it appeared to run, but no change was made to the doc.
Hidden sections? Explain please.
Is this the same as Collapsed sections?
Look into the ability to do this without section breaks using the built-in headings. See the last entry on this page:
Why Use Word's Built-In Heading Styles? by Shauna Kelly
You can only link to the previous section if there is a previous section. There is no "command" to link to previous. There is a button in the Header/Footer Tools that is active if that option is available.
Do not use Next-Page Section breaks to create new pages.
These create new sections as well as new pages. Thus, with two next page section breaks you are displaying three pages, yes. But you are displaying the first page of three sections. In header/footer logic, you are not displaying the primary (odd-page) nor the even-page header for any of these three sections. That is, you have a document that contains nine header areas, and you are seeing three of those.
In your second document, your header in the second section is not linked to previous.
Please review again: Header/Footer Settings Recap
Headers and footers follow those rules. They have since Word 97, at least.
I need section breaks because another feature the doc has is to be able to have sections hidden.
In my second document, Word was not allowing me to link to the previous section. I would run the command to link them, it appeared to run, but no change was made to the doc.
You can use your profile page to search threads where you have participated. Click your user name next to your avatar, and choose My Profile. Threads are listed under the "Activities" heading.