No longer able to digitally sign VBA code in Excel 2016

Anonymous
2017-05-01T19:09:15+00:00

Hello all! 

I have a DigiCert issued code signing certificate that I have been able to use from January 2017 up until two weeks ago (about the time of the Creator's Update for Windows 10 Pro). The Cert is valid through 2020. Unfortunately, I when I try to sign VBA code with it now, I get the error message "There was a problem with the digital certificate. The VBA project could not be signed. The signature will be discarded.

Is anyone else getting this message when signing VBA code with a Cert that previously worked?

I was able to test on a co-worker’s computer running

OS: Windows 7 Pro SP1

Office: Office 365 ProPlus Ver 1701 (build 7766.2076).

I was able to successfully sign a macro file on this machine.

My computer is running

OS: Windows 10 Pro version 1703 (build 15063.250)

Office: Office 365 Ver 1701 (Build 7967.2139)

I am not able to successfully sign a macro file on my machine. I am able to successfully import the certificate though.

DigiCert of course blames the issue on Microsoft, and given that I can successfully sign on my co-worker's Windows 7 machine with a slightly older build of Office 365, I wonder if something  in the newer version of Office 365 broke the ability to sign VBA macros.

Thanks - Nate

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-03T18:12:15+00:00

Hi StephenGibb,

My re-installation must have missed the August updates you mention by a whisker. I forced an update just now, 1707 Build 8326.2062 is now my version. And, thankfully, it works!

Some extra info about when the problem was occurring for anyone else who might come across this thread:

As well as the failure to sign a project, Office was silently disabling all signed macros, not just those in the locations I mentioned above.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-06T22:26:36+00:00

    I began this thread and I am still experiencing the same issue.

    I am currently on:

    Office 365 Version 1706 (Build 8229.2073)

    Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.447

    I also have Microsoft Access Database engine 2010 version 14.0.6029.1000 installed (necessary for a crucial database program to run)

    The only time I have successful digitally signed a macro was immediately after the Office 365 Version 1705 update. But as soon as I logged out and back in the ability was lost.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-06T19:31:13+00:00

    Hello Italophile,

    I am a developer on Office and I work on the team that handles VBA integration with the Office products. This thread was just brought to my attention. There was an issue introduced in January that caused VBA digital signatures to have issues, and that seems to be the issue that was originally driving this thread. However, we fixed the issue that was introduced in January in the April (8201) build. Almost all the versions listed in this thread all come before this fixed build and so I assumed the issue was resolved with our latest version, but I see in your comment you have done testing using 8201 and are still having issues. This is very interesting to me and I want to get to the bottom of the issue you are seeing, whether it is that the update is not getting applied properly in some cases, or whether there is an additional issue we need to fix. Do you have a reproducible set of steps that utilizes 8201 and still remains in a broken state?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-06T14:27:31+00:00

    Internet Time might be out of sync.  Go to "Date and Time" - "Internet Time Settings" and click on Update now.

    That worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-05T13:44:07+00:00

    Since doing a full factory O365 is currently working with v1705 (Build 8201.2075) on my laptop, though I have turned O365 updates off as I am concerned that an update will break it.

    However, a Win10 Virtual Machine on the same laptop does still have the same issue. The only difference that I can identify between the two is that once I had run the Lenovo recovery software Office was preinstalled on my laptop, whereas on the VM it was installed from the Office portal.

    An older laptop that I used to use for work also has the same issue, so it is not isolated to Virtual Machines. Nor does the OS seem to have any bearing on it as a Win7 VM has the same issue.

    Using the Office ProPlus Install Toolkit to install previous builds I have managed to identify that the bug first appeared in v1702 (Build 7870.2020). So the last working version is v1701 (Build 7766.2092).

    I currently have a Support case open with MS but so far they have been unable to reproduce the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments