Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T15:49:17+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T14:11:19+00:00

    Thank you my friend.

    So i hope you still remember the workbook, eitherways even if you don't I had uploaded a new version of which the coding needs to be done in them.

    https://1drv.ms/x/s!AhyDdnjegKkhbE8anGeR2Gs4m-4

    Can we make A8:G8 hidden in the sheet 'Summary' when cell B2 in 'GI Calculator' = "Yes"?

    If not, since you had previously mentioned that we can only hide full rows, can I hassle you with hiding row 8 from 'Summary' when cell 'GI Calculator'B2!= "Yes".

    I thank you again sir. Very much appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T13:06:06+00:00

    If it pertains to this same topic - sure.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T12:41:57+00:00

    Dear Bernie, can I bother you with one last simple thing please? HIDE-related code

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T21:39:20+00:00

    Will do. Thanks Bernie! All the best

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments