Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T19:26:35+00:00

    I'm not sure what you mean. This is an out of the box media web part inserted on the page. Why is it looking for Silverlight is all I want to know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T10:24:00+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    I cannot reproduce the issue on my side. Please provide the code you are using for us to reproduce the issue so that we can further investigate it. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

    Regards,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T14:28:41+00:00

    I'm not using any code. Please review my last post and answer the question or escalate it if you can't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-08T15:51:56+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    What's the version of your web browser?  Check with the latest version of browser and let us know the result.

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-08T17:41:20+00:00

    I don't want to get into a discussion about browser versions because:

    1/ I already said this worked fine before and browser versions have not changed

    2/ IT controls that in large organizations and it's the responsibility of the product developers (Msft)  to workaround any browser limitations.

    Besides. here (not in co network) I have Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m and I see the same issue so it's definitely nothing to do with the browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments