Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T10:24:00+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    I cannot reproduce the issue on my side. Please provide the code you are using for us to reproduce the issue so that we can further investigate it. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

    Regards,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T19:26:35+00:00

    I'm not sure what you mean. This is an out of the box media web part inserted on the page. Why is it looking for Silverlight is all I want to know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T07:23:43+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    I tested on my side with the same step you performed except wrapping the code and the video plays fine.

    To reproduce the issue, could you please let us know how you wrap the code? If it is convenient, please share the code with us.

    Thanks,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-05T21:03:17+00:00

    Here's more proof of the calamitous experience users are having with videos in SPO:

    A video was working fine one minute but then after a pause and restart I see this:

    This is using Chrome which doesn't support Silverlight (without an extension). Why does Msft claim they browser sniff and provide the optimal video version available depending on the browser? Obviously that is not true. Msft never seems very good at doing anything remotely user friendly. And clearly they have not put enough thought or testing into presenting videos. No other platform I've ever used has had this many issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-11-15T16:41:54+00:00

    Hi webbrewers3,

    Could you provide the information in my initial reply? This will help us narrow down the issue.

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments