Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T01:08:29+00:00

    This bug/lousy design has reared its ugly head again. My video guy has uploaded several videos to an assets library and the ones that provide a plain .mp4 file are working fine. ONE of the files gets processed somehow by SP and doesn't give me an mp4 url.  That one doesn't play in any browser at all and can't be embedded.

    I want to upload an mp4 file and get a simple link to it  - how do I do that?

    I don't want any of Msft's attempts to be smart and give me some processed cr*p that doesn't play. 

    Why does the windows explorer view show folders for each video file but the browser view doesn't? 

    As for the previous question, what is it about "This is an out of the box media web part inserted on the page. " that you don't understand?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-09T17:02:52+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    You said "save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. " in the initial post and also mentioned " If I copy the code from  a prior post and add it to an embed snippet" on Nov. 13, now we have requested the code for several times but you don't provide anything about that.

    If you're not using code, please provide the detailed steps about "This is an out of the box media web part inserted on the page. ".

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-08T17:41:20+00:00

    I don't want to get into a discussion about browser versions because:

    1/ I already said this worked fine before and browser versions have not changed

    2/ IT controls that in large organizations and it's the responsibility of the product developers (Msft)  to workaround any browser limitations.

    Besides. here (not in co network) I have Chrome Version 55.0.2883.87 m and I see the same issue so it's definitely nothing to do with the browser.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-08T15:51:56+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    What's the version of your web browser?  Check with the latest version of browser and let us know the result.

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T14:28:41+00:00

    I'm not using any code. Please review my last post and answer the question or escalate it if you can't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments