Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T04:09:59+00:00

    These are internal videos obviously - I'll try to find a file I can share.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T16:28:23+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    What is the .mp4 link? Give us an sample link please.

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T03:17:51+00:00

    2 things:

    1/ If I do that I get a nonsensical error:

    "Video file type is unsupported".

    2/ Why are you suggesting a workaround instead of addressing the issue? I want to upload videos to a specific folder and retain the .mp4 link. Every other service allows you to do that. Only Msft decides to change the file name and screw everything up because of their sloppy practices. 

    Besides, my video guy uses a Mac and it works fine for him. It doesn't work for me on a pc or another colleague also on a Mac. We are all doing the exact same thing.

    I realize it's hard for you guys to support such a crappily made product but brushing obvious flaws under the carpet isn't helpful. At some point someone has to start honestly exposing the everyday problems users face at a higher level so we get some sort of rational reaction. Currenlty all Msft is doing is tinkering with things no one cares about (eg modern experience nonsense) instead of trying to improve a very broken product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T17:28:09+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    "I want to upload an mp4 file and get a simple link to it  - how do I do that?"

    If we upload a video by EDIT > INSERT > Video and Audio > From Computer, we can use this link https://contoso.sharepoint.com/SiteAssets/videoname.mp4

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T03:22:49+00:00

    video.mp4 uploaded file name is changed to videoXXBB4GGH and doesn't play. WHY?

    The link provided is

    domain/SiteAssets/video/<videoname>_1_23_17_P6ZPON?d=w7f30fcbfd67d4a1e9c44c2d974a45eaa

    And doesn't play. WHY?

    This is an absolute disaster even by Msft's low standards of quality. When is it going to work properly? When will I be able to upload a video and have it retain the file name intact and allow me to link to that file name? Or should I just abandon Sharepoint and use another service that works?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments