Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-04T04:19:33+00:00

    Thankyou for persisting but it simply doesn't work for us so we've moved on to a non Msft solution. Since videos have become an important communication medium for my co and SP isn't designed robustly enough to work in a variety of network situations and withstand browser variances etc, we are in the process of rethinking our use of O365 in our cloud strategy. I hear many others are too. Our expectation is that Msft has figured out how to get basic elements like video to just work in a variety of environments

    • and we don't have the time to figure out why they don't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-02-04T02:21:08+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    With the above steps provided by Yoga, I was able to embed the video in a blog post successfully.

    To narrow down the issue you encountered, please share with us the following information:

    1. Use a different browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) to check the outcome.
    2. Embed the code of the same video in a different blog site.
    3. Test with a different video.
    4. Provide a screenshot of the situation when the videoembedplayer.aspx page doesn't work consistently.

    Regards,

    Jiaxing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-02-03T02:29:36+00:00

    Same way you describe and screen shots are the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-02T22:07:33+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    Can you please provide the information below?

        1. Detailed steps and related screenshots about how you insert a video from an asset library via embed code.

        2. Related screenshots about "the videoembedplayer.aspx page doesn't work consistently".

    Regards,

    Yoga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-02-02T01:11:21+00:00

    Yes, the videoembedplayer.aspx page doesn't work consistently in my environment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments