Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-15T01:34:40+00:00

    So 5 months later, and no response so I guess someone was confused or lying.

    Meanwhile, I've come across another issue:

    Because the media web part is total rubbish, I've been adding video tags directly and had no problems until I tried with a 580mB video. The only way to get it to play was to compress it down to under 300mB. I'm not aware of any limitation on video file size so I need to get the documentation for that. Please don't ask any other questions - just point me to the SLA on video file sizes. My company will be filing for a refund for our 10k licenses until we get that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-31T23:58:51+00:00

    Circling back to this please provide a screenshot of a video uploaded to a site assets library with the video content type applied playing successfully. You showed a youtube video but never demonstrated that Msft's video content type works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-09T14:17:20+00:00

    There are too many people here and elsewhere who've reported issues with video playback for me to believe this is a local problem.

    How can you not have available a list of recent updates? That's absurd.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-04-09T07:10:39+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    The screenshots would be helpful for us to determine your environment, which may have included customization to the site itself, as testing concluded on our side does not show the same behavior as the one you described. The embedded video is working correctly on a newly created site on our end.

    To help us move forward, please provide them and the information that Yoga has requested via private message previously.

    Regards,

    Sheen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-04-08T13:16:53+00:00

    Screenshots won't show anything. It doesn't matter how I embed the video - none of the provided tools or manually added code make a difference..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments