Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-30T16:10:38+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    Can you provide the information above?

    Regards,

    Yoga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T14:31:50+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    From your description, the issue occurs to only one specific subsite. To move forward, please provide the information below:

    1. A screenshot about the page when you get the "file format is unsupported ...." message.
    2. Your tenant information. You can provide it in PM.

    Regards,

    Yoga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T03:21:41+00:00

    I already said the same video plays fine on one site but not another in IE11. The sites are configured the same. Why would a site have an issue and throw that error? What does the error really mean?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-28T14:53:54+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    Could you please help provide the information below to further investigate the issue you encounter?

        1. Create a new subsite and upload the video to check if you can view the video.

        2. Your tenant information. To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message for the information, you can access it via this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

    Regards,

    Yoga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-03-27T17:34:45+00:00

    Another twist in the sad story of Msft's complete failure to get video to work properly in SPO:

    In IE11, an mp4 video added in one blog subsite plays fine using html5 video tag.

    Another mp4 added exactly the same way to another blog sub site gets the "wrong file type" error.

    A different video that DOES play in IE11 (added the same way) does NOT play in the subject sub site.

    How could Msft possibly get this so horribly wrong?

    And of course, the video plays fine in competent browsers liike Chrome, Firefox in any site (so far) so it's not a problem with the video.

    The issue is one sub site doesn't play any mp4's using IE11.

    WHY????

    It's very frustrating to see Msft wasting their time on assinine updates that no one has asked for when such basic functionality is broken. MAKE THE EXISTING PRODUCT WORK AS PROMISED BEFORE MAKING DUMBAS* CHANGES!!

    I realize that's boring compared to tinkering with "new" experiences etc, and very hard because of how badly made the product is, but it's what users want.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments