Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component could not modify 137 protected registry keys during installation or update of Office 365

Anonymous
2016-08-13T14:59:47+00:00

In installing and re-installing Office 365 Home (64-bit install on Win 7 Pro 64-bit), I get approx. 137 Warnings in Event Viewer like the following:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

I did a deep uninstall and reinstall just to see if this could be avoided, but no.  It happens on each install or repair or reinstall.

Here's all the info for one of these - but keep in mind there are 137 different ones (different keys being named):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MsiInstaller

Date:          8/13/2016 1:48:06 AM

Event ID:      1039

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      WINDOWS-[My PC]

Description:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1039</EventID>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z" />

    <EventRecordID>30907</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>Application</Channel>

    <Computer>WINDOWS-[My PC]</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component</Data>

    <Data>\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>

    </Data>

    <Binary>7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

- System
- Provider <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Name] MsiInstaller <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventID 1039 <br> --- --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Qualifiers] 0 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
Level 3 <br> --- --- ---
Task 0 <br> --- --- ---
Keywords 0x80000000000000 <br> --- --- ---
- TimeCreated <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ SystemTime] 2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z <br> --- --- --- --- ---
EventRecordID 30907 <br> --- --- ---
Channel Application <br> --- --- ---
Computer WINDOWS-[My PC] <br> --- --- ---
- Security <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ UserID] S-1-5-18 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventData
Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 3130397B 30303036 30302D30 302D4338

0008: 2D303030 30303031 3030302D 30303030

0010: 43314646 7D45

In Bytes

0000: 7B 39 30 31 36 30 30 30 {9016000

0008: 30 2D 30 30 38 43 2D 30 0-008C-0

0010: 30 30 30 2D 31 30 30 30 000-1000

0018: 2D 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000

0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7D FF1CE}

So, what do you think?  Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-23T11:16:28+00:00

    Palcouk - A few more things in response to your helpful post above:

    The only "MS kb on uninstalling Office" I have found is https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8 , which in turn provides the same "deep" uninstall file I mentioned, o15-ctrremove.diagcab.

    In that article, there is no mention of "click once trust prompt".

    Finally, I read your article about the "click once trust prompt" and looked for the registry key, and that sub-key does not exist.  There is no "Trust Manager" under "Security".

    However, before I try to do anything about that, why would I want to?  In all the efforts I've made to fix this problem, whenever I've been prompted to go forward, I hit "yes".

    Thanks.  I'm still hoping that my other steps above will work out, starting with using your first link for the "MS Utility against Office".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-27T14:51:15+00:00

    Palcouk - UPDATE - NO LUCK - The same seven keys would not accept three modifications each.

    Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-28T16:46:13+00:00

    Added note on odd aspects of seven registry keys that are “protected” and throw Warnings when I update Office 365 Home

    One of the seven is:

    Software\Classes\CLSID{3050F667-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}\InprocServer32

    Its “Advanced Security Settings” show the following (and this is after I gave Full Control to Everyone, Account Unknown and Users and made sure others had Full Control) – two screenshots:

    and

     

    NOTE HOW there are four DUPLICATE listings for SYSTEM, Administrators, Users and Account Unknown that say “Read”.  Two things:

    1. I cannot Edit those “Reads”.  Any attempt to double-click on any of those last four does not work – I just bounce back into the upper list that already says “Full Control”. (All other attempts to check the Permissions of the upper part of the list indicate Full Control.)
    2. I cannot check “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”.  If I do and hit Apply, it unchecks itself.

    I see these symptoms on at least four of the seven "protected" keys and a few of these symptoms on the other three.

    So, might this be connected to the reason I get warnings that these keys are protected and cannot be modified each time I update O365?



    glnzglnz <br/> ► In the office, Dell Optiplex 7010 with 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro 32-bit and Office 2010. <br/> ► At home, Dell Optiplex 7010 with 16GB RAM dual-booting Win 7 Pro 64-bit (now with Office 365 Home) and Win 10 Pro 64-bit. <br/> ► Also still have Dell Optiplex 755 with 4GB RAM with Win XP Pro SP3 (which still gets updates with the POS hack) and Office 2003.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-29T17:39:38+00:00

    Also, is it relevant that all seven stubborn registry keys end with "InprocServer32"?

    When I started this philosophical-life struggle two years ago, an MS telephone tech person wrongly had me install the 32-bit version of O365 when I had always wanted the 64-bit version.  We UNinstalled the 32-bit and re-installed the 64-bit.

    So, is "InprocServer32" a holdover from the initial installation that should no longer be there?  (And keep in mind I have tried to do some VERY thorough UNinstalls and re-installs since then.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments