Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component could not modify 137 protected registry keys during installation or update of Office 365

Anonymous
2016-08-13T14:59:47+00:00

In installing and re-installing Office 365 Home (64-bit install on Win 7 Pro 64-bit), I get approx. 137 Warnings in Event Viewer like the following:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

I did a deep uninstall and reinstall just to see if this could be avoided, but no.  It happens on each install or repair or reinstall.

Here's all the info for one of these - but keep in mind there are 137 different ones (different keys being named):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MsiInstaller

Date:          8/13/2016 1:48:06 AM

Event ID:      1039

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      WINDOWS-[My PC]

Description:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1039</EventID>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z" />

    <EventRecordID>30907</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>Application</Channel>

    <Computer>WINDOWS-[My PC]</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component</Data>

    <Data>\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>

    </Data>

    <Binary>7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

- System
- Provider <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Name] MsiInstaller <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventID 1039 <br> --- --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Qualifiers] 0 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
Level 3 <br> --- --- ---
Task 0 <br> --- --- ---
Keywords 0x80000000000000 <br> --- --- ---
- TimeCreated <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ SystemTime] 2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z <br> --- --- --- --- ---
EventRecordID 30907 <br> --- --- ---
Channel Application <br> --- --- ---
Computer WINDOWS-[My PC] <br> --- --- ---
- Security <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ UserID] S-1-5-18 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventData
Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 3130397B 30303036 30302D30 302D4338

0008: 2D303030 30303031 3030302D 30303030

0010: 43314646 7D45

In Bytes

0000: 7B 39 30 31 36 30 30 30 {9016000

0008: 30 2D 30 30 38 43 2D 30 0-008C-0

0010: 30 30 30 2D 31 30 30 30 000-1000

0018: 2D 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000

0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7D FF1CE}

So, what do you think?  Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-19T22:42:23+00:00

    The errors have only occurred recently on Win 10 OS and not when I was using Win 7 and also more recently following Office updates. The errors are so far benign and do not affect the operation of the apps, Outlook, Excel, Word, Power point and One Note which work perfectly well (Office 2010 Home and Student). I have run the compatibility check on Office Click-To-Run and found it is incompatible. Having read other threads on the subject it would seem that it was written for the 32 bit OS and can be uninstalled when using 64 bit, if that is possible. I have not yet tried to uninstall updates to see if one is at fault but as the updates on Win 10 are now automatic that is quite some task so I may just live with the errors in 'Event Viewer' until Microsoft fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-19T17:34:45+00:00

    Cromdans - thanks for info.  At least I'm not the only one with this issue!

    But please let me confirm something with you because the MS Tech thinks it's a problem with my OS (Win 7 Pro 64-bit) and NOT the O365 !!

    Were you getting the same errors as I?  When I UNinstall and REinstall O365 64-bit version, and then again on reboot, there are 70+ Warnings in Event Viewer that protected registry keys could not be modified, all dealing with Office Click-to-Run.

    Were you getting exactly these symptoms? 

    Also, even though you had the errors, and before you cleaned up the keys or uninstalled Office Click-to-Run, was your Office working OK, or did you see issues?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-19T15:35:04+00:00

    I am running Win 10 on a 64bit OS (upgraded from Win 7) and Office 2010 which operates without any problem from a purchased DVD installed while on Win 7 OS. 

    It looks like we are wasting our time trying to fix the error issue which has only recently reared it's ugly head. I have uninstalled 'Office 16 Click-To-Run Extensibility Component' together with Licensing and Localisation Components and cleaned up the registry and all that happens is Windows simply re-installs them with the resultant list of errors. 

    Office Click-To-Run is not shown as an installed component on my machine but it can be uninstalled through, **Run,**type in "installer" and run, under 'View' and 'add columns' add Subject to the headline and under 'subject' filter for I-P to find Office 16 installed components. From there you can uninstall as I have done. You may have better results than I had.

    This is an issue which Windows  or Microsoft Office needs to correct!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-17T22:37:37+00:00

    Will be speaking with MS tech person tomorrow.  Any ideas??  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-23T02:15:25+00:00

    To readers - I have a clue how to a fix, but need your suggestions.  I am now looking for "Scrub" that will truly UNinstall Office and O365 from my PC, including the registry keys that cannot be modified during the REinstall process.  A MS tech suggested this "Scrub" but only if he runs it on my machine - not something he'll send me.

    Do you know what he means?  Do you believe what he tells me, that it will actually delete those 60 - 70 non-modifiable registry keys?  Where can I get this on my own (or at least research it before he wrecks my PC and kills two of my work days)? 

    After the call with the tech, I found something on the web about "Offscrub", and it might be helpful.  It also might be very helpful when you are UNinstalling Office.  Go to the following great article and then please come back here to comment:

    https://www.deploymentmadscientist.com/2016/02/08/deploying-microsoft-office-2016-removing-old-versions/

    After you read the above, here are my questions:

    If I open cmd as administrator, what would be the single command line (from that article) to run either O15CTRRemove.diagcab (easier for me) or offscrub?.vbs (more work for me) in the strongest flavor?  (I assume I would first have to create the CScriptNative.cmd described in that article.)

    I am hoping this approach will delete those 60 - 70 registry keys as well, so I can then do a REinstall without the Warnings.

    (By the way, before I got to the article above, the MS office tech called me this morning.  His first recommendation was to Repair or Reset my operating system, Win 7 Pro 64-bit.  Instead of telling him what I thought about that (and him), I bit my tongue and asked him (a) whether he'd read my txt files with copies of the Event Viewer Warnings and (b) whether an OS Repair or Reset would focus on those keys.  I continued to ask questions, and he eventually mentioned "Scrub" as the answer, which later inspired me to the link above.  Anyway, I asked him to call me back in two weeks when I would have time to do this, and he promised to do so.   I don't trust this guy's knowledge, and I would prefer to find a more reliable solution.)

    Thanks, and I hope you all find this link helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments