Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component could not modify 137 protected registry keys during installation or update of Office 365

Anonymous
2016-08-13T14:59:47+00:00

In installing and re-installing Office 365 Home (64-bit install on Win 7 Pro 64-bit), I get approx. 137 Warnings in Event Viewer like the following:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

I did a deep uninstall and reinstall just to see if this could be avoided, but no.  It happens on each install or repair or reinstall.

Here's all the info for one of these - but keep in mind there are 137 different ones (different keys being named):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MsiInstaller

Date:          8/13/2016 1:48:06 AM

Event ID:      1039

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      WINDOWS-[My PC]

Description:

Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1039</EventID>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z" />

    <EventRecordID>30907</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>Application</Channel>

    <Computer>WINDOWS-[My PC]</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component</Data>

    <Data>\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>(NULL)</Data>

    <Data>

    </Data>

    <Binary>7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

- System
- Provider <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Name] MsiInstaller <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventID 1039 <br> --- --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Qualifiers] 0 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
Level 3 <br> --- --- ---
Task 0 <br> --- --- ---
Keywords 0x80000000000000 <br> --- --- ---
- TimeCreated <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ SystemTime] 2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z <br> --- --- --- --- ---
EventRecordID 30907 <br> --- --- ---
Channel Application <br> --- --- ---
Computer WINDOWS-[My PC] <br> --- --- ---
- Security <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ UserID] S-1-5-18 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
- EventData
Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 3130397B 30303036 30302D30 302D4338

0008: 2D303030 30303031 3030302D 30303030

0010: 43314646 7D45

In Bytes

0000: 7B 39 30 31 36 30 30 30 {9016000

0008: 30 2D 30 30 38 43 2D 30 0-008C-0

0010: 30 30 30 2D 31 30 30 30 000-1000

0018: 2D 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000

0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7D FF1CE}

So, what do you think?  Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-18T11:04:06+00:00

    More info:

    I went to one of the registry keys in the Warnings and found that its Permissions are Read Only and its Owner is TrustedInstaller.

    There are way too many of these keys for me to try to change Owner and Permissions (and then change Owner back).

    What is MS doing if its own installation program doesn't deal with this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-18T04:14:54+00:00

    Still not answered.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-14T16:34:34+00:00

    StanySteve - thanks for interesting links.  You found stuff I couldn't.

    However, FYI, I have installed O365 only on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit, not my Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

    Your links are interesting, esp. the lennytech, but I have NOT had the worse app-crash issues described in those links.  As far as I can tell, my Office 365 Home (which gave me Office 16) is working.  But I certainly don't like the numerous Warnings in Event Viewer I describe above.

    What's interesting about the lennytech is that when I first installed the O365 with the help of the MS call-in team, the MS tech installed the 32-bit version of O365.  I asked him to uninstall and re-install the 64-bit version, and he did.  Maybe that first install set up those registry keys and locked them somehow.  They have apparently remained locked even though I ran the DEEP O365 uninstall twice. 

    Not yet ready to try the regedit and uninstall surgery described at lennytech.  But it might be an experiment next weekend if no luck elsewhere.

    Please do comment more if anything occurs.

    And I hope others comment also!

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-14T14:43:02+00:00

    It seems this might be a problem associated with Windows 10. This website might offer some solutions.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...99e1e43?page=1

     Some info here as well:

    https://lennytech.wordpress.com/2013...ity-component/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments