Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Bump. Still looking for a clue on this. Thanks.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In installing and re-installing Office 365 Home (64-bit install on Win 7 Pro 64-bit), I get approx. 137 Warnings in Event Viewer like the following:
Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.
I did a deep uninstall and reinstall just to see if this could be avoided, but no. It happens on each install or repair or reinstall.
Here's all the info for one of these - but keep in mind there are 137 different ones (different keys being named):
Log Name: Application
Source: MsiInstaller
Date: 8/13/2016 1:48:06 AM
Event ID: 1039
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: WINDOWS-[My PC]
Description:
Product: Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component. The application tried to modify a protected Windows registry key \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1039</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>30907</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>WINDOWS-[My PC]</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component</Data>
<Data>\msinkdiv.InkDivider.1</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
| - | System |
|---|
| - | Provider | <br> | --- | --- | <br><br><br><br> | [ Name] | MsiInstaller | <br> | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| - | EventID | 1039 | <br> | --- | --- | --- | <br><br><br><br> | [ Qualifiers] | 0 | <br> | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| Level | 3 | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| Task | 0 | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| Keywords | 0x80000000000000 | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| - | TimeCreated | <br> | --- | --- | <br><br><br><br> | [ SystemTime] | 2016-08-13T05:48:06.000000000Z | <br> | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| EventRecordID | 30907 | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| Channel | Application | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| Computer | WINDOWS-[My PC] | <br> | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| - | Security | <br> | --- | --- | <br><br><br><br> | [ UserID] | S-1-5-18 | <br> | --- | --- | --- | --- | --- |
|---|
| - | EventData |
|---|
| Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component |
|---|
| \msinkdiv.InkDivider.1 |
|---|
| (NULL) |
|---|
| (NULL) |
|---|
| (NULL) |
|---|
| (NULL) |
|---|
| 7B39303136303030302D303038432D303030302D313030302D3030303030303046463143457D |
|---|
Binary data:
In Words
0000: 3130397B 30303036 30302D30 302D4338
0008: 2D303030 30303031 3030302D 30303030
0010: 43314646 7D45
In Bytes
0000: 7B 39 30 31 36 30 30 30 {9016000
0008: 30 2D 30 30 38 43 2D 30 0-008C-0
0010: 30 30 30 2D 31 30 30 30 000-1000
0018: 2D 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000
0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7D FF1CE}
So, what do you think? Thanks.
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Bump. Still looking for a clue on this. Thanks.
New update on April 16, 2017 -
Nothing has ever worked to stop the "cannot modify the protected key" warnings. The new Update Now yesterday to this O365 Home generated the same 41 Warnings.
So, today, after first creating a restore point, I DELETED the 41 keys, then went to Control Panel -- Programs and Features -- right-clicked Microsoft Office 365-en us and did a Repair - Online.
No help. In fact, it caused new problems, so I Restored from the restore point and went back to where I was.
What in tarnation is "protecting" those keys?
Ideas?
No luck.
I thought I'd try a "lesser" repair by right-click-repairing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Integration\C2RInt.16.msi , which is an installer (maybe the installer) for the Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component that is generating the warnings.
The repair ran very briefly and that created again the same 41 Warnings as before.
Back to square one.
Update - So 41± "protected" registry keys have been showing up in Event Viewer Warnings when I run any update of Word or Excel (from this second O365 Home installation).
NOW, in regedit, I have given "Full Control" permission to Administrators in each of these 41± keys. (I run regedit and regscanner64 as TrustedInstaller. So I don't have to change Ownership to change Permissions. Goes much faster.)
Result - in yesterday's normal "Update Now" of Word, which ran some updates, I did NOT get the 41± Warnings. Progress ?? Risks ??
I might go back to my earlier lists of "protected" keys (which were more than 41), do the same, and then run a "Repair" of O365. (Or a total UNinstall and REinstall.) What do you think? Will a Repair or UN+REinstall create different keys and so progress will be lost?
New update -
I have now run a brute force set of changes to all 67± registry keys and gave Full Control permission to System in each key so that a re-install of O365 (or any update) could change those protected keys. However, NO LUCK again. I continue to get the Warnings. (How exactly are these keys protected?)
For details, please see a very interesting post at MSFN at MSFN LINK HERE
Among other things, the folks there introduced a useful tool for running anything as Trusted Installer. This helped me avoid the step of changing Owner on each key before changing Permissions.
Any ideas?