How do I get rid of "let's get started" activation page after kms activation?

Anonymous
2016-05-17T20:42:53+00:00

I have 2 new Dell XPS 15 laptops with Win 10 Pro, OS licensed via UEFI.  I uninstalled trial office without opening it and loaded Office 2016 Pro and activated it via KMS:

Still, opening any Office app brings up the Let's get Started" page wanting me to try/buy/activate Office:

How do I stop the activation page?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-06-16T19:36:39+00:00

Hello,

Thanks again for your patience while we figure out a valid solution for this issue. We have created an article that provides a workaround to remove the activation window message from reappearing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3170450.

Our engineering team is working on fixing this issue moving forward but we hope that the link above will resolve this issue on your machines via this workaround.

Thanks,

Michelle V

The Office Team

Was this answer helpful?

700+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T19:32:02+00:00

    Suzanne:

    This thread is about local Office installation. For issues related to Office 365, you might want to look at:

    https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/156

    Best,

    EdTech Guy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-17T13:55:04+00:00

    Michelle:

    Thanks for your information on a workaround. The only error I see in the KB article is the assertion that the Office VL edition was installed without uninstalling the trial Office. That is not correct, leading me to suspect that the problem is with the trial edition Uninstaller.

    To complete the thread, I unboxed a new Lenovo laptop and followed this procedure:

    1. Configure Windows as the first admin account.
    2. Uninstalled Office trial edition.
    3. Uninstalled the "Get Office" app.
    4. Rebooted.
    5. Verified that the two Registry Keys you referenced still exist.
    6. Installed Office Standard volume license edition.
    7. Started Word to verify the trial version Activation Popup (it does).
    8. Rebooted, started Word again (it still does popup).
    9. Deleted the two registry keys documented by Microsoft.
    10. Started Word again- problem solved with popup gone!

    I hope this information helps you update the KB article, and thanks for the quick fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-21T15:28:51+00:00

    Thanks a ton for this fix Michelle. Worked without having to uninstall everything from a production machine again. The Office removal "Fix It" tool  works great when you have a new computer you are building. It's a one step process to remove office and it must remove these registry keys where the normal uninstall does not. But when a user is already using the computer, removing these keys was quick and easy.

    thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T14:55:47+00:00

    This registry hack worked for me, first time I had seen this happen, of course this new laptop has an M2 SSD instead of a SATA drive so I could not image it as I usually do - had to use OEM OS and remove Office trialware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments