How do I get rid of "let's get started" activation page after kms activation?

Anonymous
2016-05-17T20:42:53+00:00

I have 2 new Dell XPS 15 laptops with Win 10 Pro, OS licensed via UEFI.  I uninstalled trial office without opening it and loaded Office 2016 Pro and activated it via KMS:

Still, opening any Office app brings up the Let's get Started" page wanting me to try/buy/activate Office:

How do I stop the activation page?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-06-16T19:36:39+00:00

Hello,

Thanks again for your patience while we figure out a valid solution for this issue. We have created an article that provides a workaround to remove the activation window message from reappearing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3170450.

Our engineering team is working on fixing this issue moving forward but we hope that the link above will resolve this issue on your machines via this workaround.

Thanks,

Michelle V

The Office Team

Was this answer helpful?

700+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-03T04:32:22+00:00

    After over a week and about 6 hours on the phone with Microsoft I couldn't get rid of the annoying pop ups. According to Microsoft my program was properly installed and should work. Still pop ups. I'm thankful my wife found this blog. I used fixit and reinstalled Office Pro 2016. I too deleted the Get Office App.

    So in less than 30 minutes you helped me when 6 hours of dealing with Microsoft couldn't. I guess Microsoft should read their own blog site.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-18T01:36:11+00:00

    Hello Tom,

    Please provide more information before we proceed.

    How exactly did you uninstalled Office applications? Did you uninstall it using Fixit?

    I suggest you to check in Control Panel >Programs> Programs and Features, if other version of Office application is listed there. If yes, please uninstall other version of Office and then try to activate Office to check if it helps.

    To uninstall Office refer****information mentioned in the following link and check if it works.

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2016-Office-2013-or-Office-365-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

    Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-17T13:55:04+00:00

    Michelle:

    Thanks for your information on a workaround. The only error I see in the KB article is the assertion that the Office VL edition was installed without uninstalling the trial Office. That is not correct, leading me to suspect that the problem is with the trial edition Uninstaller.

    To complete the thread, I unboxed a new Lenovo laptop and followed this procedure:

    1. Configure Windows as the first admin account.
    2. Uninstalled Office trial edition.
    3. Uninstalled the "Get Office" app.
    4. Rebooted.
    5. Verified that the two Registry Keys you referenced still exist.
    6. Installed Office Standard volume license edition.
    7. Started Word to verify the trial version Activation Popup (it does).
    8. Rebooted, started Word again (it still does popup).
    9. Deleted the two registry keys documented by Microsoft.
    10. Started Word again- problem solved with popup gone!

    I hope this information helps you update the KB article, and thanks for the quick fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-01T10:24:33+00:00

    If the location for the step 5 in the first reply did not work use this simplified link in set 5 of this procedure and that should solve the problem equally. 

    Step-by-step instructions:

    1. Open any of the Office package (MS Word, MS Excel etc)
    2. Close the activation screen.
    3. On the Start menu, click Run.
    4. Type regedit, and then press Enter.
    5. Locate and select the following registry subkey:

    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\``16.0``\Common\OEM | | --- | 6. Right-click the OEM value, and then click Export or File Export 7. Save the subkey with any name but preferably "subkey" without " ". 8. After the subkey is backed up, click Delete (the whole folder named OEM on the left pane) or click on the individual subkeys found on the right hand side when you select OEM and select Edit and Delete. Note selecting the OEM folder on the left side is faster and easier to do than deleting the individual 9. Exit Registry Editor

    Close Office and open again.

    Result**: The *Let’s get started page***should no longer appear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments