OneNote for Android: "Can't sign in, Please try again later." on Galaxy S7 Edge

Anonymous
2016-06-29T03:55:03+00:00

Hi,

Recently I have been getting an error when trying to log into OneNote on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone. WHen I type in my email and password, the app almost immediately pops up a window saying "Can't sign in: Please try again later."

My email and password are correct because I am able to login in to OneNote through the web, on OneNote on my PC, and on another one of my Android devices (an Nvidia Shield Portable). This is very frustrating because the app used to work just fine, but it wasn't until recently that this issue popped up, and I was about to switch over from Evernote and make OneNote my primary note taking app.

I have tried doing the following, but everything failed:

-Deleting the app and reinstalling it

-Clearing the cache and data on the app and restarting it

-Giving titles to all previously untitled notes (I read that was a possible fix for some people) through the website and trying to login again

I'm able to login with my same account on Excel, Word, Outlook (I use my work account with Outlook) and OneDrive, but OneNote is the only one that let me login.

Any suggestions for possible fixes for this issue? The next thing I'm going to try is uninstalling the app and reinstalling it after a few days.

Some additional details about my phone:

MODEL NUMBER: SM-G935T

ANDROID VERSION: 6.0.1

ANDROID SECURITY PATCH LEVELl: May 1, 2016

KERNEL VERSION: 3.18.20-7856276

dpi@SWDD3001 #1

Wed May 11 16:41:21 KST 2016

BUILD NUMBER: MMB29M.G935TUVS3APD8

SECURITY SOFTWARE VERSION: MDF v2.0 Release 7

VPN v1.4 Release 6.0

KNOX VERSION: Knox 2.6

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-01T00:53:40+00:00

I found a workaround. I searched around and downloaded the OneNote v.15 apk (one version behind the Play store version) and sideloaded it on my S7. I logged in just fine. I then went back to the Play store and updated the app to the current version. When I opened it, I was still logged in. Not only does this resolve our issue for now, but it demonstrates that the problem is in the current version of the app, not in the login servers on Microsoft's side. 

You're welcome. Here's the apk I used:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/microsoft-corporation/onenote/onenote-15-0-3931-1008-release/onenote-15-0-3931-1008-android-apk-download/

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-11T05:11:47+00:00

Hi All,

For users who are seeing "Can't Sign In. Please try again later" error message, the issue has been resolved with the latest update.

Please update to app version 16.0.6965.1825 for arm devices and 16.1.6965.1825 for x86 devices. Let us know if you still face issues.

Regards,

Mitali Jain

Program Manager

OneNote for Android

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-29T10:39:55+00:00

    I also have this problem on my S7. My phone has OneNote integrated in stock rom. Every time I try to update from play store it gets broken. The only solution for me is to delete all update info and run the stock version. I blocked play store from auto updating OneNote and that seems to work. Starting the app still gives anoying popup to update but if you ignore than the app works fine. 

    Maybe look into issues updating the app from the store when the app is integrated in the rom.

    Regards,

    Martijn 

    Hi Martijn,

    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, you might be running into a different issue.

    I just tried on S7 and updated the default version to the latest version (16.0.7369.1775) and it worked for me. Can you also try this and let us know?

    Can you please provide us with the device id so that we can investigate it?

    If you are able to land into the app,  you can find the DeviceID under: OneNote Settings>About>Android Device id.

    Regards,

    Mitali Jain

    Program Manager

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-28T13:13:09+00:00

    Same thing is now also happening with the updated OneDrive app. It stopped working after te last update 4.5.

    Both OneDrive and OneNote are integrated on the stock ROM. Updates will come from Samsung and Play store. The updates from Play store break the app and reders the app useless.

    Only working solution for me is to go to Play store and remove the OneDrive and OneNote apps. This will not completely uninstall the app as it is part of the ROM. It will just go back to an earlier version that works.

    I also tagged OneDrive and OneNote to NOT automatically update via playstore. This will ensure that the app doesn't break again and keeps on working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-21T09:57:38+00:00

    I also have this problem on my S7. My phone has OneNote integrated in stock rom. Every time I try to update from play store it gets broken. The only solution for me is to delete all update info and run the stock version. I blocked play store from auto updating OneNote and that seems to work. Starting the app still gives anoying popup to update but if you ignore than the app works fine. 

    Maybe look into issues updating the app from the store when the app is integrated in the rom.

    Regards,

    Martijn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments