OneNote does not sync

Anonymous
2016-08-11T10:45:46+00:00

Hi there,

This morning I started to have problems with OneNote 2013. First I got an error saying that one notebook (stored in OneDrive) could not sync: "We're sorry, something went wrong during sync. We'll try again later. (Error code: 0xE4020017)"

The errors were associated to a particular section. Following: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fix-issues-when-you-can-t-sync-OneNote-299495ef-66d1-448f-90c1-b785a6968d45, I tried to open that notebook in OneNote online. That worked although I could not open the section. Then I copied all the pages in that section to a newly created section. This did not help either. now two sections could not sync. Then I decided so sort the pages in that section and distributed (moved) the pages among various notebooks and sections. Now several of my notebooks cannot sync..... :-(

Finally I decided to close the notebook but now I cannot re-open it. it looks like all the data is still in OneDrive but i cannot sync the notebook to my local OneNote 2013 (windows 8) and also not to my ipad. 

This is quite frustrating. anyone with a suggestion/solution to my problems?

Thanks,

Raul 

PS: after moving various pages around i ended up with several empty sections. I deleted these sections from various notebooks but these sections keep on re-appearing after a few secs.... :- S

EDIT: I just noticed that there is something wrong with several of my notebook files stored in OneDrive. I wanted to make a back up of my notebooks by copying them to another location in OneDrive but the problematic notebooks cannot be copied... I hope that I did not loose any important file. I would appreciate receiving help from the Microsoft community to fix my issues. Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-15T12:30:08+00:00

    So finally I was able to get everything back together in its original state, without losing more than about 10 - 15 minutes of my most recent edits before the problem started (which isn't that bad). I can confirm that I didn't have to update any versions, restore any backups or reopen the notebooks on the desktop client. I only needed to reset the iOS client. On my laptop OneNote starting syncing again on Saturday.

    Thanks to everyone who posted information on this forum. Normal high-productivity service has resumed :)

    --Kartik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-14T11:30:33+00:00

    Bart,

    I am still confused about "restoring files" and how that is different in business. Onenote does two things: it creates backups (even double and triple if selected) to the local drive (under the "users" directory). It also creates up-to-the-minute saves in case of the program crashing (all MS products do this). This is what I dub the "cache". This is what I believe you mean by reverting to the "last edits". 

    Does Business version save the "last edits"? If not, I can see no advantage to paying 5$/month or the 10$/m for the full service in down-time server issue such as this.

    thanks again,

    Hi Shawn,

    No, when I talk about saving/rescuing last edits, the approach I mention is to copy individual pages from the OneNote in difficulty to another OneNote which has no issues. This is done in the OneNote desktop client. I'm not talking about working with the cache (which is described in another post by ConnerTenn), which is done in desktop explorer.

    The difference I see between OneDrive and OneDrive for business is not related to any of the above two approaches. That difference plays (I believe) a role when (A) you need support from Microsoft. You will be getting phone support with OneDrive for Business and chat/email support with the free OneDrive. Or (B) when you would need to restore an older copy of your OneDrive files. I have unconfirmed information that in both versions this can be done, but I can imagine that there are more options, more support on the OneDrive for business version.

    That's what I wanted to say. :-)

    All the best from Belgium,

    Bart

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-13T17:51:02+00:00

    I seem to be getting somewhere now. Removing the notebook from the iOS client and readding it, resulted in about 30 minutes of "Syncing..." before it stopped with an error. 

    So I "Reset" the iOS OneNote client, which presumably did the equivalent of clearing it's cache. Restarting the client after resetting it, followed by about 40 minutes of "Syncing..." finally resulted in a notebook that now seems to sync correctly between iOS and the web version, and also correctly when manually sync'd with the desktop client.

    I'm now going to start re-collecting all my sections into a single notebook, to achieve the same structure I had before the problem started on Thursday. I'll post back here whether I needed to clear my desktop client's cache, which at the moment doesn't seem necessary.

    Thanks

    --Kartik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-13T13:00:19+00:00

    Thanks ConnerTenn. I figured the "Not syncing" and red X might just be a visual cue to indicate that it's in manual syncing mode. Some quick changes that I made to test in the web version made it to the desktop version after a manual sync (although the progress bar stays stuck forever, until you click somewhere and it changes to the "Not syncing." state). 

    However, the web changes didn't make it to my iOS version. Currently trying to remove and re-add the notebook in there, let's see what happens.

    --Kartik

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-08-13T11:58:56+00:00

    Your current problem might be different than the recently solved syncing issue. Its probably an issue with the client itself. I don't know if clearing the cache would actually solve your problem but its worth a shot.

    If you are going to clear your cache, I suggest that instead of actually deleting the folder (C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneNote\15.0) you just rename the folder to something different. This way, onenote will treat it as being deleted while allowing you to still save the old cache in case something goes wrong.

    You can also save backup copies before you actually clear your cache. There are a couple ways of doing this:

    -copying a backup copy from your backup folder

    -pressing backup now from the backup options

    -exporting the notebook to a package that can then be reopened later

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments