Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-13T12:40:24+00:00

    Same problem - Surface Pro 4 ported into LG monitor,tried 125%, 150% and 200%, each progressively made it slightly better but even at 200% still at least 50% of what I was copying was truncated out of the image.  I checked settings on the surface pro - tried various display settings in terms of resolution as well as zooming. I also fixed the magnification back to 100% but I still can't copy and paste. I'm guessing based on all of this feedback it has to do with the size of my screen which is in essence a double monitor in one. I use split screen feature. I even turned that off in hopes that would help but nope. This is very frustrating as this is a feature I use on a daily basis for my client work - I'm going to be relegated back to my small surface pro screen until there is a fix.

    Ellen, I feel your pain. When I replied the other day - this display setting above worked. On Monday, it did not. 

    I copied the excel info, pasted special, as worksheet object. It comes in fine.

    Not sure about you, but it is only after it is pasted and I edit the worksheet and return to the slide that it truncates.

    I'm not sure if you can tag someone here..., but perhaps @JohnKorchok John Korchok can shed some light on this issue. He's been extremely helpful to me on other ppt issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-13T12:16:11+00:00

    Same problem - Surface Pro 4 ported into LG monitor,tried 125%, 150% and 200%, each progressively made it slightly better but even at 200% still at least 50% of what I was copying was truncated out of the image.  I checked settings on the surface pro - tried various display settings in terms of resolution as well as zooming. I also fixed the magnification back to 100% but I still can't copy and paste. I'm guessing based on all of this feedback it has to do with the size of my screen which is in essence a double monitor in one. I use split screen feature. I even turned that off in hopes that would help but nope. This is very frustrating as this is a feature I use on a daily basis for my client work - I'm going to be relegated back to my small surface pro screen until there is a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-24T03:10:38+00:00

    I had the same issue and solved it by simply changed the display to 150%.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T18:28:05+00:00

    Okay, thanks, I will give it a try!  

    You mean display settings for all of windows, not just within office applications?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments