Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-02T18:55:07+00:00

    I'm running Office 365 with 2 external monitors and ran into the same issue.

    I tried different combinations of adjusting text size between the 2 monitors and only the 125% setting on both monitors eliminated the problem of truncation (on cells and charts).

    While this is a good fix, it's very frustrating given I'd prefer the 100% setting and I've lost a lot of available real estate to do productive work since everything is larger.

    If anyone has a permanent fix, I'd love to hear it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-08T20:44:40+00:00

    INSANE. 

    I thought I was losing my mind trying to fix this. No one seemed to understand. When I saw this - I thought you posted in the wrong feed.

    This worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T14:48:54+00:00

    Was having the same issue as all the other respondents while using a Dell laptop with external monitor connected.  As Bradly suggested, I unplugged the monitor and did the work only on the laptop screen--no truncation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T04:10:36+00:00

    Solution: as the issue appeared recently, I uninstalled ALL MS Office updates I could (December 13th back to October 4th 2017; the system did not allow to uninstall some), restarted the computer, and the problem's gone. I can embed or link the worksheet in PowerPoint, edit, etc.

    System: Windows 10 home 64b, MS Office 2007 Enterprise 32b.

    Unfortunately, I do not know which update was the culprit as there were too many of them to test every one, and not installing the security updates does not seem like a great long term solution, so still waiting for ms to fix the problem.

    On the other hand, the oldest posts about this problem date from way back so ms has ignored the problem for years. Motto: because they can!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-02-16T16:51:05+00:00

    As you've seen, several people have had this problem, but none of the regulars here have been able to reproduce it, and unfortunately w/o reliable means of reproducing the problem, MS has nothing to go on if they want to fix it.

    If anyone can provide *exact* and *detailed* steps that produce the problem every time, and include Windows and Office versions, one of us at least can try to repro the problem.

    For Windows version:

    Click Start button, rightclick Computer and choose Properties.

    Take a screenshot of the screen that appears.

    Be sure to either resize the screen to hide the activation code first.

    For Office/PowerPoint version:

    Start PowerPoint

    Choose File | Account (if Office 2013 or higher) or File | Help (if Office 2010)

    Take a screenshot of the screen that appears.

    Include the screenshots in your reply here or upload them to OneDrive/etc and include a link to them here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments