Powerpoint Paste Link from Excel Truncates Spreadsheet

Anonymous
2016-08-17T14:20:41+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to link a Powerpoint Presentation to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have copied a table in Excel into PowerPoint using the Copy Paste Special -> Paste Link feature.  At first, this looks great.  Updates I make to the Excel Spreadsheet automatically update in PowerPoint and all the formatting looks right.

However, after saving, closing, and re-opening the Powerpoint file, the Spreadsheet has been truncated.  It is missing about 1/2 of a column and about 3 rows.  I tried to update the link, and even to delete the table and re-paste the linked spreadsheet, and nothing seems to work.  It doesn't appear to be an issue with the size, because I copied/pasted just a small table (4x2) as a test and it did the same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to solve this?

Thanks,

Alan

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-01T22:13:57+00:00

    The problem is for sure dual (or more) screen related.  I have confirmed this on two systems.  The dual and 3 screen support is with a Microsoft driver so this is a Microsoft issue. 

    Work-arounds

    1. go to only one screen to make the cut and paste and then it will work if you go back to multi screen.
    2. figure out the screen resolutions you need for each screen to have this work (hint - have close to same total resolution)

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T09:19:56+00:00

    Hi All,

    I have had this problem (in fact I still do) and found the following workaround.

    I noticed that this only happened once in a while. 

    Here is the (my) trigger: Having more than one screen connected to the PC at the time of copying or interacting with the linked image.

    So:

    If I disconnect the PC from the Dock, I get everything working as it should.

    If I then reconnect to the dock, the images look fine. BUT. When I try to interact with them. (e.g. click on/move them or the cells they are linked to),  the error comes back.

    I can then save the workbook, disconnect from the dock and open the workbook again and they show up just fine.

    I have NO idea why this happens.

    I have two screens running. If I open the lid on the laptop, the error still exists.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-04T17:51:49+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with my work laptop (Dell ultrabook Latitude E7470), and I believe I have discovered the culprit for me at least. The truncation issue appears when I am at my desk working on my external monitors, however when I tried restarting my computer and unplugging from the dock using my laptop alone, the issue "resolved" and I am able to copy my excel tables into the word document.

    So it would appear the issue only occurs when I'm connected to and working from external monitors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-16T18:05:37+00:00

    I've imported my response as images so that I could keep the cropped versions of my screenshots. Please see below. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-26T20:09:13+00:00

    I am having the same issue as Alan_ME above. The link you posted was not helpful at all and was rather basic. 

    Again, when we paste as a link or picture from excel, about 1/3 of the table or chart is cut off. I am working on Office 2016 and have a Lenovo Thinkpad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments