Word 2013 Table of contents - page numbers all change to 2 when print (or print preview)

Anonymous
2015-03-24T07:04:25+00:00

I have a single section document in Word 2013.  The first page is a TOC.  The document is 4 pages

long and has three Level 1 Heading styles through out the document.  The TOC initially appears correct. 

When I go to Print Preview the TOC will revert all page numbers to 2. 

Changing the Options "Update fields before printing" and  "Allow fields containing tracked changes to update before printing" has no effect (before anyone suggests this).

The only solution is to manually update the TOC, save to PDF, and print the PDF.

Anyone can reproduce this problem. Try it....

  1. Start with blank document
  2. Insert a TOC (ignore the error message, we will come back to this)
  3. Go to the end of the document and insert a page break to move to page 2
  4. Now type a heading in Heading 1 style and press enter
  5. type some dummy text (=rand(20) for example)
  6. Continue steps 4 and 5 to insert more headings and dummy text.
  7. Now return to the top (page 1) and update the TOC
  8. So far so good.  Everything working well
  9. Now go to Print Preview (Ctrl+P)
  10. Everything is still good
  11. Escape back to the document
  12. Go to Print Preview again
  13. AGGGHHHH! All the page numbers have reverted to page 2
  14. Happens every time without fail.  Totally reproducible on all our office PCs.

I have seen many descriptions of this behavior on different forums and not one solution. But I am like the proverbial dog with a bone - I will not let this issue go until MS gives me a solution !

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-25T12:30:54+00:00

    Microsoft technicians have now CONFIRMED this issue with me on the Partner Support portal.  I will report back when they have any further answers or solutions.

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-25T08:37:25+00:00

    Interesting.  I can reproduce this on three different computer on our network AND also a client has the same issue.

    Confirming that we are using Word 15.0.4701.1002.  We are also using Windows 8.1.  I wonder if this might be the cause of the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-25T04:02:04+00:00

    Following your steps, I cannot reproduce the problem here in Word 2013 running under Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-25T02:30:15+00:00

    Hey John

    Are you suggesting that when you see the issue in Print Preview then proceed to Print then the document TOC is printed correctly?

    This certainly does not happen for me.  It prints exactly what is in the print Preview display.  ie it prints the TOC with all pages numbered 2.

    This is more than a simple display bug.  This is a major bug in Word.

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. John Korchok 236.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-03-24T15:40:55+00:00

    I can confirm this display bug. However, proceeding with printing updates the TOC and prints the correct numbers, so it doesn't seem like it needs a workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments