Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-26T14:19:55+00:00

    Thank you for your quick response.

    The undo is grayed out and completely inoperable in every document I opened the last several days.

    I tried CTRL Z in several documents, and it does nothing.

    Last, I clicked the dropdown and Undo is enabled.

    I don't know if my other recent problems with Word freezing and crashing are because of this or not, but the last week or two have been very frustrating. I'm an editor and a writer, and use Word exclusively for 9 or 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I can't tell you the number of hours' work I've lost because of Word glitches.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-28T18:20:09+00:00

    Kathryn,

    Exactly the same problem and profession for me. It's SO painful! Hope you (we) get an answer ASAP!

    Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-26T13:11:22+00:00

    Hello,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

    Please provide more information before we proceed.

    1.       What happens when you tap/click on undo option? Is it greyed-out?

    2.       Does this issue persist in all Word document or any specific documents only?

    You may try pressing Ctrl + Z from the keyboard and check whether undo works. Also check and verify if Undo button is enable by clicking on the dropdown button next to Redo button.

    I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-30T13:18:18+00:00

    No dumb questions, remember. When I open a document and work, the UNDO stays grayed out, as in, at no time does it work. It will turn blue for a scant second before graying out again. When it is blue, if I click it, it doesn't work.

    I use Office 365 on the annual subscription. I uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday, but will do so today, using the Fix It option. Fingers crossed it works, because I'm really getting tired of losing hours of work when Word freezes without recovering.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-29T22:47:18+00:00

    I can't speak for Kathryn, but the undo button doesn't work when I've typed or deleted text within a document while in the midst of it.

    It isn't that it just isn't present when I open a doc, obviously it wouldn't be highlighted if I have no words that have been altered.

    I have yet to attempt to uninstall and reinstall, but I guess that's my next step. After which, I fear, I'll have the same returning problem as Kathryn did.

    And to be clear, I have Office Professional Plus 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments