Track Changes in Word 2016 - deletions not showing

Anonymous
2016-04-25T11:17:05+00:00

Hi all,

I am using Word 2016 and am having problems with track changes. I have it set to show All Markup and under the show markup I have insertions and deletions ticked; however, when I delete something in the Word document, it is not showing as strike though and as such I cannot see that it has been deleted. If I accept the changes, the deleted item will disappear, so it is taking them on board.

Any suggestions? - I am soon going to reinstall an earlier version if I can't solve this as it is completely unworkable.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2016-04-25T13:13:50+00:00

In the Advanced Track Changes Options dialog box, make sure that "Deletions" is set to "Strikethrough" (and not to "Hidden" or "(none)").

To display the dialog box, click the dialog launcher in the Tracking group on the Review tab; in the Track Changes Options dialog box, click Advanced Options.

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-18T16:21:27+00:00

Try setting the Reviewing Pane to Off:

Hope this helps,

HJ

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-05-18T17:03:26+00:00

Try the following (as illustrated in the figure below) -- on the "Review" tab of the ribbon, in the "Tracking" section, choose "All Markup" from the dropdown list, then open the "Options" dialog and choose to show "Revisions" in the box labelled "Balloons in All Markup view show".  You might also need or want to set the "Reviewing Pane" to "Off" in the box immediately below it.

I hope this helps.

HJ

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-09-20T09:07:29+00:00

In the Advanced Track Changes Options dialog box, choose how you want deletions to be shown (as strikethrough, for example). See screen shot below. Make any other changes that you want. When you are done, click OK to confirm the settings.

Then click Review | Show Markup | Ballons | Show Only Comments and Formatting in Balloons.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-24T14:24:29+00:00

    Hi All

    I am using Word as part of Office 365 on my MacBook at home and using Word 2016 for Mac at work. I am having a version of the issue reported above where I can see some of the deletions that other reviewers have made to a word document but not all of them. 

    I have tried all of the fixed recommended in this thread but it is not helping to show all of the deletions. Interestingly, my colleague at work is reporting the same issue. It is particularly frustrating because we are the only 2 at work using Macs and everyone who is a Windows machine does not have this issue. 

    This partial rendering of deletions is particularly worrisome. 

    Any suggestions why Word for Mac is having issues.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments