Unable to save files in Word 2016 for Mac on OS X El Cap

Anonymous
2016-02-18T19:08:46+00:00

Hi folks,

I'm running into a situation affecting some but not all Macs at our office. We recently updated to Office 2016 (via Offiec365), and are running into problems with Word in particular. 

What's happening is that after opening or creating a new document and making changes, typing ⌘-S to save does not do anything, and the Save and Save As options are grayed out in the menu. Closing the window or quitting Word will trigger the "Do you want to save..." dialog, which then appears to allow you to save the document, but the document that is actually saved is completely blank. 

Has anyone encountered this also? It's affecting a couple of iMacs and a MacBook Pro, but some iMacs and laptops are not experiencing the same problem.

Thanks,

Tom

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-02-13T23:50:13+00:00

I had this issue persistently last year but it seems fixed now with latest releases all round. I suggest running Microsoft Autoupdate, and doing manually every few days too. Also join the optional Office Insider program to get latest fixes.

My system:

Word for Mac 15.32 (170201)

MacBoook Pro (2016), 10.12.3

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-18T20:09:48+00:00

    It's not predictable based on the current information we have. I run Word 2016 for Mac on both Yosemite and El Capitan and and have never had any such problems. I think it's likely that the specific model of Mac you're using plays into whether you experience an issue or not.

    I also have this problem. I just did system updates on my mac as well as uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh version of Office (using a university Office 365 license). Still the same issue for me. I'm using Word 15.26 and OSX 10.11.6 on a 2010 Macbook Pro.

    It was saving fine during the spring semester and even until last week, but then suddenly stopped saving this morning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-08T12:37:15+00:00

    The Mac in use is a 13in MacBook Pro bought in April.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. John Korchok 236.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-09-05T23:53:51+00:00

    It's not predictable based on the current information we have. I run Word 2016 for Mac on both Yosemite and El Capitan and and have never had any such problems. I think it's likely that the specific model of Mac you're using plays into whether you experience an issue or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-05T21:28:55+00:00

    I currently run Word 15.26 and OSX 10.11.6 and the problem is recurrent.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments