Office for Mac 2016

Anonymous
2015-07-09T15:52:16+00:00

Today I’m pleased to announce the release of Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac.

Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac enables you do your best work – anywhere, anytime and with anyone. New, modern versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote have the familiar look and feel of Office, and are thoughtfully designed for Mac. You’ll quickly produce quality documents using new online templates, the Insights pane, and recommended charts. You’ll have access to your docs in the cloud whenever you need them. No more sending documents back and forth in email: it’s easy to share your work and have others review it, since several people can edit the same document simultaneously.

What are the system requirements?

Your Mac device needs to be on OS X 10.10 Yosemite or above.

How do I get Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac?

Office 365 subscribers can get Office 2016 for Mac fromOffice.com/myaccount.  If you don’t have an Office 365 subscription you can purchase from Office.com.

How should I update the Preview build to the Release build?

The update will be available shortly.  You can install the update by going to Help > Check for Updates. Otherwise, the Microsoft Auto-Update Tool will inform you sometime today or tomorrow that an update is available. 

Thank you for participating in the preview. Keep your feedback coming.

What languages are supported?

  • Brazilian Portuguese
  • Chinese (Simplified)
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • English
  • Finnish
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Norwegian Bokmal
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish

For Help information or community support, please visit the following links:

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-31T10:58:26+00:00

    I use office 2016 Mac on two computers - a Macbook pro and a Mac pro. Two extremely powerful machines, up to 26 GB of RAM, SSD's, and office 2016 behaves like it runs on a pocket calculator from the seventies. I type much faster than Word can follow, and if I drag and drop tables or graphs from Excel, Word becomes totally un-usable. If I type a sentence and look up, I see one character after the other appear on the screen at a pace of one every 2 seconds. I have a GTX 680 in my Mac Pro, sufficient to run a professional flight simulator, but not enough for Word? 

    I have re-installed twice, all the latest patches for Office as well as for OS X are on. Why have I paid for a software that should not even be out as a Beta???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-12T08:30:01+00:00

    Word 2016 'Resume reading' does not work

    -> please explain how to activate this handy-sounding feature

    Office 2016 files are HUGE - about 1.5GB each

    • previous versions were much smaller
    • features in 2016 are not that much better than 2011

    Outlook did not automatically find my mail settings

    • Mail was able to do that without any interference from me
    • I've changed my email programme (which is a pity because previously I'd been a long time Entourage user)

    very dissatisfied, I'll probably revert to 2011

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-31T17:38:03+00:00

    There are numerous features missing in this product. It's basically an Outlook Lite compared with the robust Outlook 2013 for Windows.  I doubt if many of missing features can be attributed to sandboxing, as has been suggested. That sounds like an excuse for lack or resources and perhaps not allowing parity with Outlook on the PC for competitive reasons.

    Many of the missing features are already included in the 2016 Mac Version of Word and are have not been replicated in Outlook. In contrast, these features, by and large, are common to both Outlook and Word on Office 2013.  These include (and I will be opening a separate thread for these).

    1. No format painter
    2. Use different spell checker than word
    3. Cannot set auto-spellcheck as option
    4. No quick access toolbar
    5. No way to modify ribbon
    6. No ability to enter lines feed (within for example bulletted items
    7. No way to change paragraph spacing within a bulleted list
    8. No paragraph button to see how wysiwg is being affected
    9. Horrible placement of Search box.  This emulates the native Mail app and represents a race to the bottom as far as this feature is concerned.
    10. Cannot insert image
    11. Cannot insert table or manipulate one that comes in thru the HTML tranfer from Word which is a kluge. This is a huge omission
    12. No send later feature
    13. No send email again feature
    14. No shortcut for changing indents of sub-bullets or sub-numbered list items

    Using a VM is not a great option. Outlook typically runs slower, even on a fast machine, Windows are harder and slower to resize etc.

    If was grading these products or a curve, I would give an "A" to MS Outlook 2013 on the PC and a "D" to this effort on the Mac 2016 Office platform  It is hoped MS will rectity these omissions, but I am not holding my breath.  MS has better things to do like make great mobile phones.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-28T03:32:40+00:00

    Thanks for your heads up. The less routine the more life.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-07-24T17:15:38+00:00

    At some point when you are happy with 15 (which will hopefully be soon), you can make a call to trash the 14 apps so they don't take up space and just use 15 exclusively.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks!

    /Faisal J.

    Program Manager | Outlook for Mac

    I'm afraid with everything that has been left out and all the bugs crashes and weird behavior We'll be lucky to get to that point two years from now. Sad fact is Microsoft knows they made 2016 he the Golden Application at least a year if not two years too soon. The shape its in at best it's a second generation Beta. And at worst a very high quality Alpha.

    In Word when you Try to switch to header Footer and change the Font  on a selection it blinks on and off for 2-3 minutes. Sometimes it freezes and locks up. In Excel when you use either as mouse or Trackpad to move sheet up or down it does so in a herky-jerky  motion in 2011 same operation is smooth. The quivering motion sometimes takes a minute or more to settle down. One Note though Nice the only way you can print your notebook entries is, as a PDF output, not as a Direct Print Out. The other day I fielded a question about where is Templates for OneNote like there is in PC version. I didn't know you even had templates for any version of OneNote. I've been asked if there was a way to sort entries (on the order of like Excel. I had to tell him no. And I also found out on my own without anyone telling me I can actually sort rows manually by clicking on the arrows that appear on left side as you go to another row. If you grab that arrow and move up or down. It will actually move up or down to position you place it. So you can do a manual sort.

    If your Mac Programmers were required to sign up to read the Posts in the answers forums on Mac Products. You would actually be ashamed of your efforts.  I've had been a Loyal user of Microsoft products since the days of Microsoft Works for Mac, Word 6 and Excel 5. And I've had to put up with Second class treatment for Mac Users for as Many years from Microsoft. because despite the faults and dismissive attitudes, Microsoft still makes the best products for the need warts and all. 

    _________

    Disclaimer:

    The opinions / replies / answers given here, are solely mine, and mine alone. It does not necessarily reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator. Nor, does it reflect any possible position held by Microsoft or their employees, or any other users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments