Word 2016 for mac not manage hyperlink when .doc is converted into .pdf

Anonymous
2015-09-24T14:03:23+00:00

Hi,

I'm using Word 2016 on Mac, but when I save a .pdf file from a .doc document it lost hyperlink.

In details, if I want to create an hyperlink starting to a simple word (ex: industry name) who take me to industry's website, saving .doc as .pdf will lost the hyperlink, but formatted word remain ad an hypertext.

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-01T09:14:56+00:00

Actually, there is a way to generate PDF files including hyperlinks with Word 2016 for Mac :

1 - Insert hyperlinks in your document,

2 - Go to "Save as...", choose PDF and check the box "Best for electronic distribution and accessibility" instead of "Best for printing",

3 - Save. It will take a while as it uses Microsoft online services but then the generated PDF file includes hyperlinks!

Hope it will be useful to someone.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-18T13:39:05+00:00

Well, the folks at Microsoft have done some tweaking and adjustments and the feature is now active.
If you don’t have any Right-to-left input method (in Keyboards) or language (in Language & Region) active in the System Preferences, and you use a version of Word >15.23.1, then the options should now be visible when you use the Save As command and select PDF.

The file is processed through an online service and you get a Tagged PDF (with all forms of links active).
Make sure you select: Best for online distribution and accessibility
 Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-12-04T18:11:14+00:00

This really did not help. "Best for electronic distribution and accessibility" does not retain the quality of visuals at all. in fact it also converts symbols as junk characters. 

Any other more sustainable solutions? Thanks!

Nope… There is no good option in Word.

As you’ve seen, you can 1. generate it through the MS online services, get the metafunctions like links, etc, but loose embedded fonts and the high quality of the artwork. 2. Use the macOS PDF Services which retain fonts and original artwork, but do not add metafunctions like links, etc.

The only option to get both is to open up the document in another app that will offer that (OpenOffice??) with the risk of seeing slight layout differences, or open up the document on Windows where Word can natively generate a full-featured PDF :-\

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-02T14:10:34+00:00

    I confirm this.

    The hot links are preserved when online printing is used. However, when using a pretty common font such as Times New Roman (old MS standard, I think) the typesetting looks terrible. Calibri looks good though.

    I do not understand what is happening here. I expect that the information about the font is included in the file anyway, so that it should look ok on computers that do have the font. I remember that this used to happen some years ago, on windows machines: my source files contained unusual fonts, and their pdf versions did not display correctly on computers that did not have those fonts. It took me some time to figure that out, because the pdfs looked good on my computer. Of course that could be fixed by including the fonts (which did increase the file size).

    Now, the online produced pdf looks crappy, despite my computer having Times New Roman. What is happening exactly?

    Anyway, I produced a one-page document with times new roman and printed it both locally and online. The sizes are 34 kb and 10 kb, respectively. It does not look like the font embedding adds much to the file size. I assume that the larger file contains the entire "non standard" font set, so I do not expect that the size of a file would triplicate in every case. Rather, I expect an increase of a few kb for each "non standard" font set... But I might be wrong.

    Anyway I really do not understand the point of all this. Why can't my copy of word do whatever the online pdf server does for keeping the links hot, and keep the font in the file?

    What is happening here? Is my file fed to a windows OS which, unike a mac OS, is able to produce hot links?

    Still really unsatisfactory.

    PS It seems to me that this feature is new. Possibly after a software update, word started complaining that a pdf could not be generated offline. This never happened before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-30T18:41:31+00:00

    Not working for me, it lost the font of entire document

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments