Office 2016 Licensing Service Not Available

Anonymous
2015-09-24T17:40:19+00:00

Since upgrade my Office 2013 software to Office 2106, I am seeing this error in the Windows 10 Event Log

Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service

The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

  • <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  • <System>

  <Provider Name="Office 2016 Licensing Service" />

  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

  <Level>2</Level>

  <Task>0</Task>

  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-24T04:12:50.000000000Z" />

  <EventRecordID>10572</EventRecordID>

  <Channel>Application</Channel>

  <Computer>TestSystem</Computer>

  <Security />

  </System>

  • <EventData>

  <Data>Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220</Data>

  </EventData>

  </Event>

This error normally occurs daily, generated by Microsoft installed Task Scheduler task 'Office Subscription Maintenance' being run.  I've also manually run this task at different times of the day in case the problem is an overloaded license server.  No luck, always fails

Is this something additional I need to accomplish to "reset" something on my computer so it goes to the correct server to validate my license?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T06:13:36+00:00

    Also having this issue and looking for an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T12:25:13+00:00

    I wonder how many people would sign a petition to chastise Microsoft for these practices and to demand a change in how it deals with those seeking support.

    Maybe we've been going about this the wrong way for all too long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T14:19:49+00:00

    Do you have an Office 365 subscription?  I have suspected that this error message is being thrown because Office 365 subscriptions are licensed in a different way that a stand alone copy of MS Office.  This is just another example of Windows 10 code generating an error message in the event viewer that it should not and it does not have any impact on the use of the software.  Sometime I feel like someone left this OS in debug mode because it seems like it is generating quite a few error messages that are not really errors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T15:27:27+00:00

    Office 365, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Please don't tell me that when I unbox my new laptop, Windows 10 will do this too. Sheesh.

    Sometime I feel like someone left this OS in debug mode because it seems like it is generating quite a few error messages that are not really errors.

    This is Microsoft's stock-in-trade. The only errors in my event viewer are not really errors. I've learned to ignore this "feature," mostly, but sometimes I fall prey to mild paranoia that has me off and searching for a solution...a solution that does not exist, because there is no real problem except bad coding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T21:20:41+00:00

    I can just imagine if MS would fix those non valid error codes how many emails less thay would receive. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments