Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Useless! I have to do this Everyday? For how long? A week? A year? This DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Since upgrade my Office 2013 software to Office 2106, I am seeing this error in the Windows 10 Event Log
Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service
The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
The following information was included with the event:
Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220
<Provider Name="Office 2016 Licensing Service" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-24T04:12:50.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>10572</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>TestSystem</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<Data>Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
This error normally occurs daily, generated by Microsoft installed Task Scheduler task 'Office Subscription Maintenance' being run. I've also manually run this task at different times of the day in case the problem is an overloaded license server. No luck, always fails
Is this something additional I need to accomplish to "reset" something on my computer so it goes to the correct server to validate my license?
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Useless! I have to do this Everyday? For how long? A week? A year? This DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!
obviously a bug ; guess we should just ignore this...
I concur this is probably a bug. I only saw this error while looking for another problem in the logs.
There are far too many questions on this site that are left hanging open after a perfunctory request from a tech rep to do the obvious. When this doesn't solve the problem, silence from Microsoft ensues. The least you could do is admit you don't have an immediate answer and (hopefully) are investigating or have kicked it to tier 2 support. Thats just plain courtesy to your customers. When the problem is resolved, the party responsible should post the solution to the relevant threads. Sounds pretty simple to me. In fact I think its called bug tracking. Apparently there are some open source products that will help with this ;) Care to comment Microsoft?
Further looking through the logs I see that Adobe Reader is creating multiple information events for what amounts to the same "error". In particular it's related to event ID 0 description not being found.
Still the same issue:
Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220