Office 2016 Licensing Service Not Available

Anonymous
2015-09-24T17:40:19+00:00

Since upgrade my Office 2013 software to Office 2106, I am seeing this error in the Windows 10 Event Log

Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service

The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

  • <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  • <System>

  <Provider Name="Office 2016 Licensing Service" />

  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

  <Level>2</Level>

  <Task>0</Task>

  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-24T04:12:50.000000000Z" />

  <EventRecordID>10572</EventRecordID>

  <Channel>Application</Channel>

  <Computer>TestSystem</Computer>

  <Security />

  </System>

  • <EventData>

  <Data>Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220</Data>

  </EventData>

  </Event>

This error normally occurs daily, generated by Microsoft installed Task Scheduler task 'Office Subscription Maintenance' being run.  I've also manually run this task at different times of the day in case the problem is an overloaded license server.  No luck, always fails

Is this something additional I need to accomplish to "reset" something on my computer so it goes to the correct server to validate my license?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T11:30:05+00:00

    If I had a nickel for every bug that Microsoft has introduced into my event viewer, I could retire.

    Yes, we should ignore it, but that's after everyone has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing it down. Not our job, and I'm a little tired of dealing with issues like it.

    P.S. to Microsoft staff: I'm also tired of useless, uninformed instructions from "Support Engineers." If you don't have a real solution, say so. Don't further waste our time with blanket, vanilla "troubleshooting" that does absolutely nothing to fix what's broken. Stop it now.

    Well Rhonda,

    That should rattle their pillow :( Imagine even insiders aren't considered if a bug isn't major issue. What's the purpose of having a viewer if everyone says ignore it. That's a major flaw. It's like having an oil gauge and it's showing low pressure and you ignore it. What happens then?

    These types of errors should be fixed documented, and made available through the KB. I already wrote a KB article for an issue with Outlook (Been a while).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-25T15:20:19+00:00

    If I had a nickel for every bug that Microsoft has introduced into my event viewer, I could retire.

    Yes, we should ignore it, but that's after everyone has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing it down. Not our job, and I'm a little tired of dealing with issues like it.

    P.S. to Microsoft staff: I'm also tired of useless, uninformed instructions from "Support Engineers." If you don't have a real solution, say so. Don't further waste our time with blanket, vanilla "troubleshooting" that does absolutely nothing to fix what's broken. Stop it now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-06T13:54:54+00:00

    Still the same issue:

    Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-15T21:25:03+00:00

    Further looking through the logs I see that Adobe Reader is creating multiple information events for what amounts to the same "error".  In particular it's related to event ID 0 description not being found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-15T21:15:29+00:00

    I concur this is probably a bug.  I only saw this error while looking for another problem in the logs.

    There are far too many questions on this site that are left hanging open after a perfunctory request from a tech rep to do the obvious.  When this doesn't solve the problem, silence from Microsoft ensues.  The least you could do is admit you don't have an immediate answer and (hopefully) are investigating or have kicked it to tier 2 support.  Thats just plain courtesy to your customers.  When the problem is resolved, the party responsible should post the solution to the relevant threads.  Sounds pretty simple to me.  In fact I think its called bug tracking.  Apparently there are some open source products that will help with this ;)  Care to comment Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments