Office 2016 Licensing Service Not Available

Anonymous
2015-09-24T17:40:19+00:00

Since upgrade my Office 2013 software to Office 2106, I am seeing this error in the Windows 10 Event Log

Event 0, Office 2016 Licensing Service

The description for Event ID 0 from source Office 2016 Licensing Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220

  • <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  • <System>

  <Provider Name="Office 2016 Licensing Service" />

  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>

  <Level>2</Level>

  <Task>0</Task>

  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-24T04:12:50.000000000Z" />

  <EventRecordID>10572</EventRecordID>

  <Channel>Application</Channel>

  <Computer>TestSystem</Computer>

  <Security />

  </System>

  • <EventData>

  <Data>Subscription licensing service failed: -1073418220</Data>

  </EventData>

  </Event>

This error normally occurs daily, generated by Microsoft installed Task Scheduler task 'Office Subscription Maintenance' being run.  I've also manually run this task at different times of the day in case the problem is an overloaded license server.  No luck, always fails

Is this something additional I need to accomplish to "reset" something on my computer so it goes to the correct server to validate my license?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-25T16:32:33+00:00

    If I had a nickel for every bug that Microsoft has introduced into my event viewer, I could retire.

    Yes, we should ignore it, but that's after everyone has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing it down. Not our job, and I'm a little tired of dealing with issues like it.

    P.S. to Microsoft staff: I'm also tired of useless, uninformed instructions from "Support Engineers." If you don't have a real solution, say so. Don't further waste our time with blanket, vanilla "troubleshooting" that does absolutely nothing to fix what's broken. Stop it now.

    Ignoring people who "cry wolf" is dangerous because you wind up ignoring real problems as well.

    I've located the subscription check scheduled task under Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library  -> Microsoft -> Office -> Office Subscription Maintenance, set to run at 6.06 AM every day.

    Right click, disable.

    It still doesn't work, but at least now it's not a decoy hiding real problems.

    -- Ken

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-25T03:47:29+00:00

    Did online repair and rebooted computer.  No improvement; licensing request still fails.

    NOTE:  Also temporarily disabled anti-virus software when doing licensing check.  No difference so anti-virus is not the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-01T11:21:57+00:00

    This sounds strangely similar to Blizzard support. Maybe they have two jobs? :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-16T12:25:13+00:00

    I wonder how many people would sign a petition to chastise Microsoft for these practices and to demand a change in how it deals with those seeking support.

    Maybe we've been going about this the wrong way for all too long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-15T21:25:03+00:00

    Further looking through the logs I see that Adobe Reader is creating multiple information events for what amounts to the same "error".  In particular it's related to event ID 0 description not being found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments