Custom install gone?

Anonymous
2015-09-26T16:19:17+00:00

Hello,

I noticed that when I installed Office 2016 Pro it immediately installed the full package with all the apps including the ones that I don't need (OneNote, Publisher, etc.).

Isn't there a way to select during the installation which apps you want to install and which apps you don't? I remember Office 2013 did give you that option.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T03:44:04+00:00

    Everytime I think MS does something awesome they ruin with their idiotic decisions. Windows 10, awesome, shoving it down everyone's throats, tricking people into upgrading and major loss of privacy not cool.

    Office 2016, somewhat cool, none of the bugs were fixed in the version, but hey let's force components that people don't use down their throat in hopes of people liking them again. 

    Now I'm thinking I'm going to go back to Mac and help their growth because MS still doesn't get it. Almost there, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot. Starting to feel like congress... almost had it and then the big screwup always follows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-07T15:12:55+00:00

    Lost in this discussion is the question of "WHY?"

    What is gained by going to this new installer type wherein no one can customize ANYTHING?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-07T19:06:07+00:00

    It is only useful to MS. 

    CTR reverts total control to MS. It allows them push out updates to everyone when MS wants to.  With everyone running the same version of the application (or one of a very limited set), it makes trouble shooting easier for MS.

    There is an "old school" Windows technique you can try to redirect part of your installation to a secondary drive.  That is using a "symbolic link" to tell Windows that a given folder is actually in a different location. So while it looks like it is on the C: drive, it can be on some other drive.  Yes, I understand this is not the same as doing a custom install, reducing space used by eliminating applications, but it can help if you have a second drive.

    Symbolic Links to redirect CTR installation?

    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/be-more-efficient-and-better-organized-with-the-mklink-symbolic-link-tool/ -Be more efficient and better organized with the MKLink symbolic link tool


    http://www.howtogeek.com/194431/how-to-sync-any-folder-to-the-cloud-with-symbolic-links/ -**How to Sync Any Folder to the Cloud With Symbolic Links**


    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/  -**Complete Guide to Symbolic Links (symlinks) on Windows or Linux**


    http://www.mydigitallife.info/create-symbolic-links-hard-links-and-directory-junctions-in-vista-with-mklink/-**Create Symbolic Links, Hard Links and Directory Junctions in Vista with MKLINK**


    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 - Link Shell extension (a tool to allow you to make the Links from Windows rather than from the Command Line)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-08T01:40:21+00:00

    It seems to be part of their long-term strategy to remove control of your own PC from you.  It started with idiocy like removing the ability to manage wireless networks ("we know better than you how to do this, so we'll just remove the ability from the network control panel"), so now you have to drop to the command line and remember arcane netsh commands to do what you used to be able to manage with a mouse click.  It's just been getting worse over time.  If I wanted to have a faceless corporation dictating how I use my computer to me, I'd be using something from Apple.

    Using newer Microsoft products seems to have become a bit like an abusive relationship, I keep having to find reasons why I'm still staying.  If it wasn't for the lack of alternatives to Word and DevStudio, I would have jumped long ago.

    (Note: LibreOffice and Eclipse don't count as viable alternatives, they still have some way to go unfortunately).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-08T03:58:50+00:00

    The writing does seem to be on the wall.

    M$ is moving to a remove the middleman (resellers)) to subscription based hosted service not unlike an Iphone.

    Windows 10 is well on it's way there too.

    M$ phone and Surface are just the tips of the iceberg.

    They have been pushing us resellers to give them our customers with things like Office 365 and Azure and give us an ever decreasing profit margin until they eliminate us all together.

    Reminds me of the folks that find out they are being replaced by H1B's and need to train them if they want to get paid a one time "finders" fee.

    Is this surprising?

    No,it's Microsoft and they've been doing business like this for a very long time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments