Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Got me scratching my head on this one.
Maybe it's only available in the vla.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I noticed that when I installed Office 2016 Pro it immediately installed the full package with all the apps including the ones that I don't need (OneNote, Publisher, etc.).
Isn't there a way to select during the installation which apps you want to install and which apps you don't? I remember Office 2013 did give you that option.
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Got me scratching my head on this one.
Maybe it's only available in the vla.
Hello,
Can I install individual Office applications? No.
Related Thread. See David Petree's remarks
That thread is at least 50% wrong you can install O13 to a different path and modify what gets installed.
After much trial and error, I got it to work for me.
First I had to run the Office scrub vbs file (available from Fix It here: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-Office-2016-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554bb8-aa94-43c7-a685-408dd9868c0b) to remove all traces of any Office installs on my computer (I'm running Win10x64 Pro & Ent).
Reboot
-- Note that if you don't have the iso yet, you can can ask setup to download the required files, just skip ahead to step 3 below---
<Configuration>
<Add SourcePath="D:\Archive\Office2016" OfficeClientEdition="64" >
<Product ID="proplusretail">
<Language ID="en-us" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Grove" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
<ExcludeApp ID="skypeforbusiness" />
</Product>
</Add>
<Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />
</Configuration>
***NOTE that I wasn't sure about the naming convention for Skype for Business/Lync so I put them both in the config file - I still don't know which one is needed but the above config successfully did NOT install Skype for Business***
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /download configuration.xml
that will create the sub directories and download the files necessary for your desired configuration
D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
bingo, bango, bongo, you've got a customized install.
Office 2016 Pro is a "click to run" installation. It is an all-or-nothing installer. To get the "customize" installation you need a "traditional' MSI installer. MS has moved almost completely away from MSI installations. This is a step back to the dark ages of "green screen", aka Mainframe, computing. Central IT, MS in this case, is in total control.
The example the PGM554 captured and showed is explicitly for Office 2016 Professional Plus. In 2013 it was the only remaining MSI installer I was aware of. It appears to be that way again in 2016. I have not been able to find that installer in the place I got it from formerly, technet evaluation center.
I'm hoping PGM554 has a link we can use that he will post here <hint hint .... grin>
The instructions that BRADM posted are intended for corporate installations. But it may be possible for consumers to use the technique also ... Here are some parallel instructions for using the deployment tool to create a customized installation:
Customize Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (C2R) Setup to Install Selected Programs Only (2013 / 2016) askvg.
This tool is intended for Business Office Administrators. Apparently it may also be used for consumer Office bundles. (I have not tried it myself, rohn 007)