Custom install gone?

Anonymous
2015-09-26T16:19:17+00:00

Hello,

I noticed that when I installed Office 2016 Pro it immediately installed the full package with all the apps including the ones that I don't need (OneNote, Publisher, etc.).

Isn't there a way to select during the installation which apps you want to install and which apps you don't? I remember Office 2013 did give you that option.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-27T11:45:14+00:00

    "...do you HAVE to extract it to the  D:\Archive\Office2016\ path"

    NO!  I just showed the full path I was using because other instructions out there (ie @ the askvg site) show a path with \office\ at the end and that will only work if you use the /download option.  Also, I should have noted that my configuration.xml file specifies the Office Professional Plus version (<Product ID="proplusretail">)  That will have to be changed depending upon the version you wish to install (eg: ="professionalretail" for the regular Pro version).

    If you've got the source files already, you can open up .\data\c2rfireflydata.xml and inside there you'll find all of the possible product id names (I have no idea if they will all successfully install using this method).

    Glad this helped you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-27T11:26:28+00:00

    After much trial and error, I got it to work for me.

    First I had to run the Office scrub vbs file (available from Fix It here: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-Office-2016-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554bb8-aa94-43c7-a685-408dd9868c0b) to remove all traces of any Office installs on my computer (I'm running Win10x64 Pro & Ent).

    Reboot

    1. I opened the ISO from MSDN and extracted that to D:\Archive\Office2016\ which created subdirectories off of that of \Office\data

    -- Note that if you don't have the iso yet, you can can ask setup to download the required files, just skip ahead to step 3 below---

    1. rename D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe to whatever the heck you like.
    2. I downloaded the Office 2016 Deployment Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117) and extracted the zip to D:\Archive\Office2016.  This will place setup.exe and configuration.xml into that directory (this is why we renamed setup.exe above).  I edited the XML file and put the following in it (deleting everything else that was in it):

    <Configuration>

      <Add SourcePath="D:\Archive\Office2016" OfficeClientEdition="64" >

      <Product ID="proplusretail">

      <Language ID="en-us" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Grove" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="skypeforbusiness" />

      </Product>

      </Add>

      <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

    </Configuration>

    ***NOTE that I wasn't sure about the naming convention for Skype for Business/Lync so I put them both in the config file - I still don't know which one is needed but the above config successfully did NOT install Skype for Business***

    1. If you don't have the ISO then run the following:

    D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /download configuration.xml

    that will create the sub directories and download the files necessary for your desired configuration

    1. Now, whether this is from the ISO or the downloaded files, run:

    D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

    bingo, bango, bongo, you've got a customized install.

    Bingo, bango, bongo, you're a hero.

    One question, do you HAVE to extract it to the  D:\Archive\Office2016\ path you mentioned or can I practically choose any directory (a folder on the Desktop) to extract it to?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-27T07:32:42+00:00

    Office 2016 Pro is a "click to run" installation.  It is an all-or-nothing installer.  To get the "customize" installation you need a "traditional' MSI installer.  MS has moved almost completely away from MSI installations. This is a step back to the dark ages of "green screen", aka Mainframe, computing.  Central IT, MS in this case, is in total control.

    The example the PGM554 captured and showed is explicitly for Office 2016 Professional Plus.  In 2013 it was the only remaining MSI installer I was aware of.  It appears to be that way again in 2016.  I have not been able to find that installer in the place I got it from formerly, technet evaluation center.  

    I'm hoping PGM554 has a link we can use that he will post here <hint hint .... grin>

    The instructions that BRADM posted are intended for corporate installations. But it may be possible for consumers to use the technique also ... Here are some parallel instructions for using the deployment tool to create a customized installation:

    Customize Microsoft Office Click-to-Run (C2R) Setup to Install Selected Programs Only (2013 / 2016) askvg.

    http://www.askvg.com/tip-customize-microsoft-office-click-to-run-c2r-setup-to-install-selected-programs-only/

    This tool is intended for Business Office Administrators.  Apparently it may also be used for consumer Office bundles. (I have not tried it myself, rohn 007)


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-09-27T03:58:23+00:00

    After much trial and error, I got it to work for me.

    First I had to run the Office scrub vbs file (available from Fix It here: https://support.office.microsoft.com/en-us/article/Fix-Office-365-Office-2016-or-Office-2013-install-errors-54554bb8-aa94-43c7-a685-408dd9868c0b) to remove all traces of any Office installs on my computer (I'm running Win10x64 Pro & Ent).

    Reboot

    1. I opened the ISO from MSDN and extracted that to D:\Archive\Office2016\ which created subdirectories off of that of \Office\data

    -- Note that if you don't have the iso yet, you can can ask setup to download the required files, just skip ahead to step 3 below---

    1. rename D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe to whatever the heck you like.
    2. I downloaded the Office 2016 Deployment Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117) and extracted the zip to D:\Archive\Office2016.  This will place setup.exe and configuration.xml into that directory (this is why we renamed setup.exe above).  I edited the XML file and put the following in it (deleting everything else that was in it):

    <Configuration>

      <Add SourcePath="D:\Archive\Office2016" OfficeClientEdition="64" >

      <Product ID="proplusretail">

      <Language ID="en-us" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Grove" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />

      <ExcludeApp ID="skypeforbusiness" />

      </Product>

      </Add>

      <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />

    </Configuration>

    ***NOTE that I wasn't sure about the naming convention for Skype for Business/Lync so I put them both in the config file - I still don't know which one is needed but the above config successfully did NOT install Skype for Business***

    1. If you don't have the ISO then run the following:

    D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /download configuration.xml

    that will create the sub directories and download the files necessary for your desired configuration

    1. Now, whether this is from the ISO or the downloaded files, run:

    D:\Archive\Office2016\setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

    bingo, bango, bongo, you've got a customized install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-09-26T22:44:09+00:00

    That thread is at least 50% wrong you can install O13 to a different path and modify what gets installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments