The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office.

Anonymous
2016-01-03T04:23:13+00:00

since windows update 1511, or since i installed the new office 2016 apps in my office 365 for small business environment, i got this message more and more frequently when my laptop starts, or tries to access the onedrive for business server using the groove.exe program. it was getting annoying. it lasts for weeks now. i tried several entries in the communities and found nothing helpful. i removed and reinstalled the office 2016 apps three times and nothing changed.

now i managed to identify where groove.exe resides (c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16) and delete it to cap this nonsense. i know this solution does not help those poor people relying on microsoft and using good old groove under it's onedrive label to store and exchange sensitive data. i used it to share photos with my business colleagues; this no longer works but is not vital. the data once uploaded using groove are still safe on my sharepoint site and remain accessible using the browser. 

i strongly urge microsoft to re-install the authentication protocol used by office 2016 because this issue turns its loyal users away from all its other cloud offerings. moreover, i expect a statement from microsoft why quality controls was not able to prevent this issue. it is a serious violation of the office 365 contracts with microsoft.

[reposted from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-office_storage/the-server-you-are-trying-to-access-is-using-an/613fba96-c432-479a-96e0-6df51a9da4fa]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-09T04:57:36+00:00

    Hi Thomas,

    Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with this issue. Not long after posting my reply did I have another customer report the same issue.  Customers reporting the issue have all either upgraded or fresh installed their version of Office to 2016. I have yet had to change or delete any credentials from Credential Manager or reinstall the application(s). I simply end the process for groove.exe and msosync.exe. Open any other Office application, but mainly use Word. Check to see how they are logged in/authenticated with the Office applications.  This time, the user was logged in with their Hotmail account.  So, from the Account screen under the File tab, I clicked Switch Account and had the user enter their Office 365 credentials, select Work/School account when prompted and signed in.  The connected cloud services then refreshes and lists the available OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online locations.  I then clicked on the application icon for OneDrive for Business from the Start menu.  The program went through its usual initial startup, then prompted me what library I want to sync, which was defaulted with the user's OneDrive for Business document library, and I clicked Sync Now and the process continued and synced their library.  I then synced the other document libraries shared with that user including several SharePoint Online document libraries. No issues encountered.  On the next instance of this error/issue, I will screen record my steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-10T12:35:47+00:00

    Alex! Thank you! That really works!

    Warm regards,

    Vladimir

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-10T15:28:29+00:00

    AlexMelching!!!! If I could have you standing in front of me I would hug and smooch you!!!! You are fabulous.  How about telling all the silly MicroSoft people how to do their job.  I've been without for 2 months and have been told, we can't help you call your hosting company, I'm sorry you'll have to wait for a fix to come about, and spent countless hours on the phone with them.  Your fix took a whole whopping 2 minutes and it is all fixed you are THE BEST!!!!  Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-11T03:20:52+00:00

    i had the same issue and tried all the methods mentioned before.

    then i saw the microsoft office upload center icon in the taskbar near the clock and got curious.

    deleting cached files solved the onedrive for business issue. once you press this button and press sync in the one drive web folder, sync works!

    have a nice day comrades :)

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=07c27872-153f-4136-852d-c512a2ad7c53)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-11T05:03:32+00:00

    Thanks, Alexander, for the suggested answer. It didn't work for me. Still the "The server your are trying..." message.

    Also also tried to combine it with Alex Melching's solution. Strange things happen. Word crashes after logging in with the school account, then restarts, all seems fine but it reports a server error from trying to log in to SharePoint (actually ODFB).

    No problem to login to SharePoint via the browser.

    Then all returns to normal, after restarting Word once again, but still no sync. Btw, this is a fresh Office 2016 install. Behavior is the same to the Office 2016 upgrade on the other laptop.

    It looks like some particularities apply. For instance, I still get German language system messages when logging in to Microsoft accounts. I also use the same e-Mail for both the Microsoft and the Work account (different passwords). It looks like some errant undefined parameter somewhere sometimes switching to one then to another random value in Office 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments