The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office.

Anonymous
2016-01-03T04:23:13+00:00

since windows update 1511, or since i installed the new office 2016 apps in my office 365 for small business environment, i got this message more and more frequently when my laptop starts, or tries to access the onedrive for business server using the groove.exe program. it was getting annoying. it lasts for weeks now. i tried several entries in the communities and found nothing helpful. i removed and reinstalled the office 2016 apps three times and nothing changed.

now i managed to identify where groove.exe resides (c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16) and delete it to cap this nonsense. i know this solution does not help those poor people relying on microsoft and using good old groove under it's onedrive label to store and exchange sensitive data. i used it to share photos with my business colleagues; this no longer works but is not vital. the data once uploaded using groove are still safe on my sharepoint site and remain accessible using the browser. 

i strongly urge microsoft to re-install the authentication protocol used by office 2016 because this issue turns its loyal users away from all its other cloud offerings. moreover, i expect a statement from microsoft why quality controls was not able to prevent this issue. it is a serious violation of the office 365 contracts with microsoft.

[reposted from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-office_storage/the-server-you-are-trying-to-access-is-using-an/613fba96-c432-479a-96e0-6df51a9da4fa]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T23:14:51+00:00

    Hi All,

    We’ve escalated the issue to the related team to investigate whether it resides from the server side. But given that the same symptom may be caused by different root causes, we suggest you first carefully follow the steps below to check if it can be fixed from your client side:

    1. Exit OneDrive for Business sync client.
    2. Run the Fix it tool at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3038627 Fix it for me section. And, please read and understand the contents of Before you begin and Data that you lose when you run this tool.
    3. Go to Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials > under Generic Credentials, remove all the items which are MicrosoftOffice15_Data: and MicrosoftOffice16_Data.
    4. Open your Word desktop application.
    5. Sign into it using your account.
    6. Re-start OneDrive for Business sync client, right click the icon on the taskbar and click Sync a new library.
    7. You will see your personal OneDrive for Business library URL prompts. Click Sync now to start to sync.
    8. To sync a SharePoint library, enter the URL instead or navigate to it in the browser and click Sync.

    If the issue remains, feel free to let us know by posting a new thread as this may indicate either a scoping issue or an independent problem. And we can collect the logs and your information for further focusing on your situation. (PS: To upload a screenshot, please remember to select Insert/Edit Media icon.)

    To Nate, I notice that you’re now using the next generation sync client. We’d like to let you know that the capability to sync SharePoint Document Library will be added in future releases; we will communicate timelines for this support in the first quarter of 2016. Thanks for your feedback and patience. For your reference: Meet the OneDrive for Business Next Generation Sync Client

    Best regards,

    Lingyu Sun

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T15:41:29+00:00

    I had this issue today after I changed my password earlier this week. It began popping up once our main Site Library was changed, and it could not get the new files.

    I decided to go down the rabbit hole of trying the new client, and the process of setting it up required me to stop syncing my current library, rename that folder, and then adding a registry value to enable the addition of my work account. That worked great, even with 2-factor authentication enabled. However, I was only given access to my Personal OneDrive for Business. I read a little further on in the documentation that Site Libraries would not be supported in the new client yet, so I opened Groove.exe back up and setup the site again like a fresh install. It worked just fine also, without having to dig into any Office caches or anything.

    I really appreciate the ease of setup of this new OneDrive client, and really hope to see Site Libraries added soon, since that's the main thing we use here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T14:16:47+00:00

    Maybe acknowledging that this is not a client but a server problem is half the way to resolution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T13:35:03+00:00

    Ling

    I too have had the same problem as Thomas.  I have refreshed, cleared caches, yanked out the registry logs all from the suggestion of MSFT Support staff.  One Drive for Business is still not working. I even attempted to get the new download and when I called I was told your company would not help me, that I had to deal with my hosting company, who does not even make the product, they sell the product for your company.  

    I'm frustrated to say the least that I cannot get this resolved, we pay a pretty penny each year for your company's software and services to not be able to use either.

    I'd like to get this resolved by tomorrow, is that possible?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-07T11:09:24+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments