The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office.

Anonymous
2016-01-03T04:23:13+00:00

since windows update 1511, or since i installed the new office 2016 apps in my office 365 for small business environment, i got this message more and more frequently when my laptop starts, or tries to access the onedrive for business server using the groove.exe program. it was getting annoying. it lasts for weeks now. i tried several entries in the communities and found nothing helpful. i removed and reinstalled the office 2016 apps three times and nothing changed.

now i managed to identify where groove.exe resides (c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16) and delete it to cap this nonsense. i know this solution does not help those poor people relying on microsoft and using good old groove under it's onedrive label to store and exchange sensitive data. i used it to share photos with my business colleagues; this no longer works but is not vital. the data once uploaded using groove are still safe on my sharepoint site and remain accessible using the browser. 

i strongly urge microsoft to re-install the authentication protocol used by office 2016 because this issue turns its loyal users away from all its other cloud offerings. moreover, i expect a statement from microsoft why quality controls was not able to prevent this issue. it is a serious violation of the office 365 contracts with microsoft.

[reposted from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-office_storage/the-server-you-are-trying-to-access-is-using-an/613fba96-c432-479a-96e0-6df51a9da4fa]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-09T04:57:36+00:00

    Hi Thomas,

    Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with this issue. Not long after posting my reply did I have another customer report the same issue.  Customers reporting the issue have all either upgraded or fresh installed their version of Office to 2016. I have yet had to change or delete any credentials from Credential Manager or reinstall the application(s). I simply end the process for groove.exe and msosync.exe. Open any other Office application, but mainly use Word. Check to see how they are logged in/authenticated with the Office applications.  This time, the user was logged in with their Hotmail account.  So, from the Account screen under the File tab, I clicked Switch Account and had the user enter their Office 365 credentials, select Work/School account when prompted and signed in.  The connected cloud services then refreshes and lists the available OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online locations.  I then clicked on the application icon for OneDrive for Business from the Start menu.  The program went through its usual initial startup, then prompted me what library I want to sync, which was defaulted with the user's OneDrive for Business document library, and I clicked Sync Now and the process continued and synced their library.  I then synced the other document libraries shared with that user including several SharePoint Online document libraries. No issues encountered.  On the next instance of this error/issue, I will screen record my steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-09T04:12:38+00:00

    I now went to my OneDrive SharePoint site by the browser, and found that this site supports Office 2013 only. If you ask the site to download Groove as Sync client the "GrooveRetail" it downloads is an older version than that  which came with the Office 2016 apps.

    Thus, the problem is an incompatibility between Office 2016 and SharePoint 2013 and cannot be resolved by doing anything else on client's side than  installing a Groove 2013 client. But Office 365 won't allow you because the individual components no longer appear in the Control Panel as separate items. The problem is the packaging of Groove into Office 2016 and release these apps without testing. Shame on Microsoft's Office product management.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-09T03:00:49+00:00

    Dear Alex, thanks for your post. I tried it, but nothing started to sync. My Word, when restarting after signing out didn't explicitly ask my credentials taking them from the Credential Manager. Maybe you have to go to Credential Manager first and manually remove existing Office 365 credentials, as LingYu says? The FixIt tool didn't work for me, and i won't remove credentials until I understand how Credential Manager works and be sure I can restore my Office 365 and keep all settings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-08T15:50:44+00:00

    Hello, we have come across this error with several customers on various OS.  Verify that the user is properly authenticated with one of the other Office desktop applications, such as Word.  So, end the processes for groove.exe and msosync.exe.  Open Word and navigate to Account.  Make the user is using their work/school Office 365 credentials and currently on that account.  Switch accounts if necessary or have them log in again with their appropriate Office 365 credentials. Open OneDrive for Business and try to sync again.  You may get a pop up error, but you just close it. The sync will start.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-08T04:02:16+00:00

    Hi LingYu, I went through the FixIt tool kb/3038627 and it tells me "Clean OneDrive For Business cache - Not Fixed" despite I stopped GROOVE and MSOSYNC. It didn't do neither harm nor any good. The issue remains, when restarting GROOVE.EXE through the OneDrive For Business icon.

    I didn't go any further than that because I don't want to remove the Microsoft Office credentials with no hope that it actually helps.

    The response was:

    2016-01-08 10:53:24:922

    No files deleted.

    The contents of C:\Users<me>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache has not been cleaned successfully. Please contact Microsoft Support for assistance.

    Well, that's what I do now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments