The server you are trying to access is using an authentication protocol not supported by this version of Office.

Anonymous
2016-01-03T04:23:13+00:00

since windows update 1511, or since i installed the new office 2016 apps in my office 365 for small business environment, i got this message more and more frequently when my laptop starts, or tries to access the onedrive for business server using the groove.exe program. it was getting annoying. it lasts for weeks now. i tried several entries in the communities and found nothing helpful. i removed and reinstalled the office 2016 apps three times and nothing changed.

now i managed to identify where groove.exe resides (c:\program files\microsoft office\root\office16) and delete it to cap this nonsense. i know this solution does not help those poor people relying on microsoft and using good old groove under it's onedrive label to store and exchange sensitive data. i used it to share photos with my business colleagues; this no longer works but is not vital. the data once uploaded using groove are still safe on my sharepoint site and remain accessible using the browser. 

i strongly urge microsoft to re-install the authentication protocol used by office 2016 because this issue turns its loyal users away from all its other cloud offerings. moreover, i expect a statement from microsoft why quality controls was not able to prevent this issue. it is a serious violation of the office 365 contracts with microsoft.

[reposted from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-office_storage/the-server-you-are-trying-to-access-is-using-an/613fba96-c432-479a-96e0-6df51a9da4fa]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-15T03:27:14+00:00

    Hi Sean,

    I understand this was a poor experience, and I’m sorry you were impacted. I have highlighted a few items below that could help you to move forward.

    1. Share your experience to our OneDrive engineering team via the link below. This is the best way to influence our product.

    https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive

    1. Future features availability in OneDrive for Business. Refer to the items labelled as "Thinking about it"/"In Plan" from the link below. These are direct updates from our engineering team.

    https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/filters/top

    1. Technical assistance

    Post a new question to our community to have our engineers to assist you.

    I will be closing this thread for further posting as Thomas' issue has been resolved.

    Thanks everyone for contributing here.

    Chee Loon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-15T01:39:42+00:00

    I have a question for all the MSFT support people on this forum.  Does Microsoft even use Microsoft products internally?  or is the entire business run by using open source, or other non-Microsoft products?  I ask this because I use Microsoft products daily, and am regretting it more and more.  I recommend the purchase of AND spend a TON of money on MS products even as a "partner".  Every new release of any of their products contains more bugs than the previous one.  The solution is typically as you see in one of the early replies to this thread - about 10 steps, sign in, sign out, stop processes with task manager, clear cache, delete accounts, recreate, uninstall re-install...

    I don't know about MS employees, or the corporate guys up top, or even people in this thread, but I don't have time to *** around with my system every day for a few hours, trying to get a "paid" RTM product to work.  This also includes all the productivity killers that are introduced in each release that I have to find work arounds for...  I have thought recently about putting up a "why I hate Microsoft products" site, but don't think anyone at MS will care enough to ever find or read it.  

    One such product, OneDrive for Business, has been broken since day one.  I have moved customers to it, and regretted it with constant problems with syncing.  I tried to use the "Sharepoint Sites" and libraries to "share" files between business members, which fails miserably...  Now we have a new onedrive sync client, which doesn't update automatically, doesn't support "sites" and doesn't support Windows 8.1 (uh, all of my stuff is on 8.1 now)...  

    Microsoft please READ and attempt to respond!

    I would like to know what the plan for OneDrive for Business is, and a time frame for rollout.  In the meantime, I'd like to either be reimbursed for a portion of my O365 fees, such that I can move over to Dropbox or Google Drive until you actually have a working product!!!!, or just simply provided with a free account somewhere with a product that works.  I would recommend some products you could buy in-house to do what Onedrive for Business won't do, but I'd be afraid that MS would buy it, and break it...  so just please fix your product(s) or provide me with an alternative as part of my subscription!

    To that end, I can say that changing the account in my office products (uh I installed from my O365 website, you'd think the account would have been right - or that OD4B would have it's own ability to connect) to my O365 account, did resolve the issues (seemingly) after about 10 minutes of "Onedrive is busy and cannot be used right now" messages. Please note that I do have OneDrive (live), OD4B, AND Sharepoint as accounts setup in Office as connected things - just like pre-2016 (year not Office - I have been on Office 2016 for several months).  The authentication thing just cropped up in the last couple weeks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-03T08:32:50+00:00

    Wow, this is quite the annoying issue. An Online Repair and deleting cached credentials in Credential Manager (Win7) seemed to resolve the problem. Note - the customer's AD password was recently changed, and DirSync is enabled; this is clearly an issue Microsoft needs to resolve to better handle password changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-26T17:46:44+00:00

    Thx a lot, tried several solutions but this one actually fixed my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-16T05:56:27+00:00

    We fixed it by simply going the control panel, searching the office app and change, there select repair online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments