Outlook 2016 Send from Outlook Alias Account?

Anonymous
2015-07-25T00:36:11+00:00

As encouraged by Microsoft, I have created and use an alias attached/linked to my primary outlook.com.  For years, it has been impossible to send e-mail from the alias using the Outlook Win32/64 client.  I have to go to Outlook.com in order to do so.

I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

Am I incorrect?  Is it actually possible to send from ******@outlook.com rather than ******@outlook.com?

Microsoft 365 and Office
Microsoft 365 and Office

A comprehensive suite of productivity tools and cloud services that enhance collaboration, communication, and efficiency. Combining classic Office apps with advanced Microsoft 365 features, it supports both personal and business needs

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-10T20:47:59+00:00

    Agreed. This is a frustrating issue. I want to switch from my @hotmail to @outlook alias without losing emails (which seems to happen occasionally now) via Outlook 2016. Apparently it is not possible to do so even though the rollout of alias happened years ago.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-10-04T12:46:50+00:00

    It's a work in progress in conjunction with the move of Outlook.com to the Exchange Online platform. Once that is completed and your account has been migrated, sending from an alias address will be possible without any additional configuration in Outlook 2010 or later.

    Until then, you can configure the alias as an additional POP3 account and configure it for sending only.

    Hi

    When you talk about a "work in progress", do you mean that in the future it will be possible to send a message with Outlook 2016 from a default alias address that is not the primary alias ?

    For the time being, it seems not to be possible:

    Due to the upgrade of outlook.com to Exchange online, I had to change the account parameters in Outlook 2016 to an Exchange account, based on an ...@outlook.com primary alias, and the emails can be sent only from this primary alias.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-02T19:35:05+00:00

    Thank you Keith!!!

    Followed your steps and indeed now I see the 'Microsoft Exchange' only and alias are working. I did try before to remove and add my account but following all your steps (including logging out) did the trick.

    Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-01T06:38:44+00:00

    I have migrated to the new exchange servers (outlook.office365.com) but still can't see/use alias in Outlook 2016. It works with outlook.com and now even in windows phone but sadly not yet in Outlook 2016. Is this a known issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Robert Sparnaaij [MVP] 18,406 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-07-25T22:19:50+00:00

    I have just installed the Office 2016 Preview and am severely disappointed to find that I cannot send from the alias within the new client. 

    It's a work in progress in conjunction with the move of Outlook.com to the Exchange Online platform. Once that is completed and your account has been migrated, sending from an alias address will be possible without any additional configuration in Outlook 2010 or later.

    Until then, you can configure the alias as an additional POP3 account and configure it for sending only.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments