Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-22T16:54:41+00:00

    Stephen,

    Not sure if I explained it properly.  FP installed without any problems, probably using Standard setup - it was a few weeks ago now - and it opens the site on my laptop just fine.  I don't/didn't user File>open but once FP was open I just navigated to my site and opened it there. FP remembers previously opened sites so there's no need to repeat that ever. (TBH I'm not sure which file you want me to open using File> Open.  FP is set as my default HTML editor but it does not come up in the 'Open with...'  right-click menu on any file in File Explorer, html or not.)

    The site also opens and works perfectly through a browser, any browser, from both the remote server and locally (using Preview in Browser).  The only problem I have is that FrontPage itself cannot connect to the remote site.  I  want to be able to upload new/changed pages using FP but it just cannot connect to and open the remote site.  I have provided the correct FTP address and password (honest) but if either of these were wrong I'm sure I'd be getting a different error.

    As I said initially, I don't know if this is a Win10 issue or not, but I can't see anything wrong with my FP setup and it connected perfectly under Win7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-22T22:33:59+00:00

    I recently got a new machine with Windows 10, and it was impossible to install FP 2003 on it. I am beyond annoyed at this. I have Dreamweaver, but FP Editor was so much easier and faster to get pages built and updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-23T16:21:32+00:00

    Well, computers, eh? Dontcha just love 'em.

    After days and days of not working, my FrontPage has decided to start playing ball and I can now upload to my website perfectly.  I have no idea what changed - I certainly didn't do anything.

    So, thanks to all who took the time and trouble to think about and respond to my problem.  I just hope and pray that it remains 'solved'.

    Bill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-07T12:52:20+00:00

    I so want go get this to work on Windows 10, but Frontpage is the only thing that is keeping me from fully moving from Windows 8... Can you please be more specific in steps of how to open a Frontpage site on Windows 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments