Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-17T23:11:14+00:00

    I loaded Front Page 2003 from my old Office 2003 CD. It loaded and would open, but gave me an error when I attempted to open a HTML file. I uninstalled it, and loaded Front Page 2000 from an even older CD. That worked! I then "upgraded" to Front Page 2003 and all is well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-18T02:27:37+00:00

    WE, it must be something to do with the version that came on Office. I loaded mine right from the FrontPage 2003 CD - worked like a dream right off the get go. Did you do the "standard" download or did you install the "options" too?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T02:23:20+00:00

    Hi. Big FP fan here too. Use to make pretty good money building and hosting sites on FP back in the day. I too was bummed that it would not run on Win 10. I read that if you create a virtual HD running XP then you can load FP on that VHD. I tied it but I still could not get FP to load on the VHD. It's still there on my 1TB HD. I may have partitioned incorrectly but never went back to trying again. Any thoughts on that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T02:47:17+00:00

    I use it every day on Windows 10. See my response to Joseph on December 18th. Granted I had the actual CD - (FP-2003) not the version that came with office.  I chose the standard download. Granted I never did use all the bells and whistles that came with the program. I can't find any snags - seamless download. Weird eh?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments