Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-06T18:09:22+00:00

    We have been using Mecca Hosting for a couple of years now and been very happy with it... www.meccahosting.us

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-06T18:01:53+00:00

    I have Filezilla and have used it, but I don't have the foggiest idea how I'd use it to upload FrontPage pages...

    Can you explain that process to a layman?

    Thanks,

    Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-06T17:59:11+00:00

    Hey Stephen and everyone,

    I need your help!  My web hosting site (successfulhosting.com) just sent me a notice that they're going out of business by year's end.

    All of you guys who are still using FrontPage, what web hosting company are you using?  I looked into it about a year ago, but couldn't find anyone who has FrontPage servers.

    Thanks!

    Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-04T03:15:54+00:00

    Michael,

    So happy to hear from you! I started this thread ages ago and you've put a little different spin on it that has helped me tremendously. Before I go much further are you using MS FrontPage on Windows 10? I am and so far so good.

    Now for the fun stuff - We had a server with the MS FP extensions go down about 2 weeks ago - I freaked when I found my ISP wasn't backing up every Sunday night (like they said they had been doing for ten years). Yes I should have been backing up on my end too - my bad. Long and short we got the data back. 21 years worth of my work - and more than 350 pages and all built with FP and super hot in the search engines! Really it would have sunk my company - that bad.

    Due to security we put the data on a brand spanking new MS Windows Server (of course the new ones don't accept the extensions). I thought well, that's IT - now I've GOT to use Expressions and FTP to the site (rather than modifying or building the pages directly on the server (my preference). 

    SO, I downloaded MS Expressions 4 and Ftp'd back and forth - the funny thing is I write w3c compliant pages and Expressions put in code that wasn't compliant. Now it's totally possible I don't have it setup correctly or fully understand how to use it very well yet. But, I was in a time crunch - I update pages daily.

    So, I started experimenting with old faithful.

    Low and behold, you can actually open the site in FP by using ftp://blablabla.com in place of http://blablabla.com - I was back in business! Yea, so excited. Yes it's not as convenient as simply opening it in FP from the IE browser (you need to type in the address of the web page manually). It ask for your user name and password (twice) - you can make the modifications or build the page from scratch, edit the out the non compliant code (not much of it needs revised) if you're into w3c hit save and it's a done deal. Granted I don't use FP generated forms or templates so I have no Idea if they would still work. So, all I need is a PC with FP installed -  I do FTP it back to my PC after I've made a large amount of revisions or built new pages but this is more a matter of learning a VERY hard lesson - backup in THREE places and do it before you take time off to go fishing! <((((º>.·´¯·.¸&gt;&lt;((((º&gt; .·´¯·.. ><((((º>

    Thanks again for adding to the thread and wishing you the Best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments