Can I run MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10 (like I currently do with windows 7 and it's "xp package."

Anonymous
2015-08-11T21:46:18+00:00

They changed the title of my original post so I thought I'd try it again: I Know that my web sites will work on windows 10 but:

I run a website I started in 1996, 385 pages and built with old school html and (when it came out) MS Front Page. I've modified many pages of these old pages to be w3c compliant using good old html. It is super hot in the search engines and works excellent in all browsers and on all mobile devices. Front Page 2003 is like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Yes, I've tried Dream Weaver and all the other "options" but it doesn't do a very good job with the original code, in fact some of the modifications and programs I have tried have been a disaster. SO I'm currently running windows 7 with the xp package to support Microsoft Front Page Version 2003. My server guys have no issues with the MS Front Page Extensions and it is very fast and stable. What do you think the chances are of running MS Front Page 2003 on Windows 10? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Title: FrontPage 2003

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-08-14T14:05:39+00:00

Though MS does indeed say that FP is not compatible (MS says that versions of Office older that Office 2007 are incompatible with Win10.) , that does not mean that it will not install and run.  You might be happily surprised.  In my experience MS tends to discourage the use of older programs even if they will run.

Although FrontPage was not evaluated, Andre Da Costa found that core programs of Office such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Publisher back through Office 2000 work just fine on Windows 10.

Reference: A look at running older versions of Microsoft Office on Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

With that said if you are dependent upon FPSE then you might start looking for an alternative to FP. MS quit support of the server extensions many years ago and the number of web hosts that offer them are becoming few and far between. Eventually you should plan on them not being available and should start looking to migrate your sites to another program. Better now before it is too late.

DavidF

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-14T16:35:13+00:00

    Install Never10 or GWX Control Panel:  http://www.infoworld.com/article/3049165/microsoft-windows/steve-gibsons-never10-vs-josh-mayfields-gwx-control-panel.html  I don't know if these are compatible with a MAC or not.

    Personally I just turned off automatic Windows updates on my Win7 machine and practice 'safe computing'.  I would not recommend it for most people but I would rather take the risk than being forced to update to Win10 which then takes away my option to refuse updates and patches. Win10 has some good things to say about it, but the mandatory updates is a deal killer for me. Way too often MS issues a patch to fix one thing only to break other things. Besides Win7 has proven to be a great OS for me. Why fix what is not broken?

    Sorry but I can't help you with your questions about FP or Quicken.

    DavidF

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-14T14:17:35+00:00

    Hi DavidF: Thanks for your speedy response. By way of clarification, I had only reached the stage of somehow downloading the Windows 10 update, but, thankfully, not auctioning it! I de-selected it from the list of other updates (I am still attempting to fully recover from a total re-installation of Windows 7, plus my previously installed applications, on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012 under Boot Camp).

    However, given that the Windows 10 update still remains every time I refresh the Windows Update function, I need a more permanent solution to delete it from the list. Is there a means by which that can be accomplished?

    Further, can anyone assist me with my challenge to complete my re-installation of FrontPage 2003, and also, any advice in respect of any probable challenges with my eventual re-installation of my Intuit's Quicken XG 2007?

    Appreciatively, Arbyem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-14T02:44:00+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-14T01:47:35+00:00

    Hi: I have had to re-install Windows 7 SP2 under Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro Mid-2012, because of a catastrophic failure which required reformatting my 1 TB hard drive and re-installing Mac OS X (Yosemite),  re-establishing the Boot Camp partition, and re-installing all of my Mac OS and Windows 7 applications.  I was able to re-install FrontPage 2003 (with out SP3) from my original DVD/CD. However, on attempting to update the product, I received an error message that the website for updates was no longer accessible. Can anyone offer advice/counsel on how to successfully update the product

    Also, investigating Windows 10 has caused me to verify that, not only FrontPage 2003 would operate correctly, but also that Quicken XG 2007 (for which I also have the original DVD/CD) would function correctly under Windows 10. My preference is to remain with Windows 7 SP2, but somehow my re-installed Windows 7 SP2 system downloaded Windows 10 for installation. How does one cancel the installation of this downloaded upgrade?

    Appreciatively, Arbyem

    ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments