Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T23:10:55+00:00

    Suzanne, I have not heard from your MS contact, would you be able to ask them to contact me on this issue please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T20:11:09+00:00

    I closed all instances of word, and reopened the doc. The 'faulty' image was then visible. Closing just the doc in question didn't work, it had to be all instances. For me, this was a visio file saved-as png. The file was huge: 80 Mb. But, it worked fine. (As soon as I got the images in word, I compressed with them withe standard compression feature. The final file size of the doc was about 10 Mb.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-01-01T01:57:22+00:00

    No problems inserting multi-MB jpg files here.  The largest that I tried with as 12+MB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-31T23:02:45+00:00

    I finally fixed my issue, but it is more of a limitation.  I am running Word 2013 (Office 365) in Windows 8.1 with a Dell 11 Venue i5 processor.  At first I thought it was the image format (jpeg, png, etc.); however, I tested different file types/formats and the problem persisted.  I decided to test a list of image files and found file size to be my problem.  Regardless of the file type/format, I could not insert an image greater than or equal to a 1MB file size.  Anything below 1MB worked.  Anyone know if this is a known limitation or design flaw?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-31T17:20:24+00:00

    I clicked File which sends me to the Info tab.  Related Documents is located in the bottom right-hand corner as you described, but the only thing under Related Documents is Open File Location.  Am I missing something?

    Thanks for posting this, though.  I'm going to figure out where this Break Link button is eventually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments