Word 2013 "This image cannot currently be displayed"

Anonymous
2013-12-02T19:30:11+00:00

I am running Microsoft 365 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I'm trying to insert .png images into my document, but only the box with the red x and the message "This image cannot currently be displayed."

Is there a maximum image size that Word can handle?  These are 11x17 .png images that range from about 5 to 13 MB.

Thanks!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T16:52:03+00:00

    Ditto to all above.  Sometimes an image can be inserted in Word and sometimes it can't.  They were all created at the same time, and they all worked FINE in Word 2007.

    Now in Word 2013 I run into THIS kind of, as someone said, very BASIC problem?

    Microsoft, please fix asap.  It worked FINE before.  It works ... sometimes ... now.  This means it is NOT a problem on my computer but with YOUR software!!!!!!

    Gahhhh ... NOW what do I do, I'm running out of time finishing some very basic WORK!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-29T08:27:37+00:00

    Guessed, thanks for your reply.

    I'm aware it's a huge image. Usually I set the images to 300 DPI. Reason for that is that I need high resolution images in articles and books (for print). Text and images are uploaded separately to the publisher, however while writing the text I do need to insert the images in the document for reference etc. As work around I could create various DPI versions of the same image and only use a low DPI in word, however if I decide to change something in the image I do need to re-create all the different DPI versions again. More work and larger chance to make a mistake. It should just work.

    As you suggested I tried saving the document as DOC format, but unfortunately it solve the problem. I have uploaded a sample images @ 300 DPI that gives problems for me. See link below. I usually use Inkscape to create my vector images, but I'll see if Illustrator gives similar problems when saving @ 300 DPI.

    http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/72266928/file.html

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-29T01:46:33+00:00

    UserLJ

    That is an enormous image. Do you really need a graphic in your document that is 47 inches wide (12386 pixels @ 260dpi). Your file size for the png format is not an issue but it seems very small for such a large number of pixels.

    That said, it really should work. It sounds like you have already tried a bunch of things that should have worked. Can you try something else - Try saving your document in doc format. The graphics handling of the 2007+ versions is different from the older format and you might have more luck with the old formats.

    Can you load a copy of your png file to a shared drive so I can test it on another Word 2013 machine? It may be an issue with the version of PNG that Inkscape saves although I would consider this unlikely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T21:45:29+00:00

    Unfortunately the suggestions don't work. I'm wondering why Daniel or anyone from MS is not responding here. Apparently they don't give a **** about their customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T21:26:32+00:00

    Start by closing and reopening Word. That's all it took for me. I'm sure it won't solve the problem for everyone but it's an easy thing to try first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments