KB2553154 Breaks COM and Active X controls in Excel

Anonymous
2014-12-10T14:28:48+00:00

Hi

The last windows update batch contained update KB2553154 for office 32 bit.

This update breaks all COM and Active x controls in Excel (i.e. buttons, combo boxes etc.). Like many businesses we use Excel with these controls extensively and this update is crippling Excel for our users.

We have installed and uninstalled it on a number of machines both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and have proved this update is causing the issue.

PLEASE Microsoft withdraw or fix this update we can hardly go around all our pc's worldwide and manually uninstalling it.

Regards

A customer wondering if you test your updates before releasing them

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2014-12-10T14:49:07+00:00

Quit Excel.

Start Windows Explorer.

Select the system drive (usually C:).

Use the Search box to search for *.exd

Delete all found files.

(Thanks to Excel MVP RoryA for this tip)

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-10-18T19:07:46+00:00

I know that this is way beyond when you posted this but I was able to fix this problem by updating Microsoft Office to the latest service pack. Then installing excel2010-kb2956142-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2010 andexcel2013-kb2956145-fullfile-x86-glb.exe for Office 2013. Hope this might help out someone else out there trying to figure out this problem.  Also this page has some information on fixes as well. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3017349

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-11T16:43:47+00:00

    Same. The only file I found was 'RefEdit.exd' and after deleting the problem continued. 

    Yes, Microsoft Excel was closed when I deleted the file.

    Mine was located in C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms

    *SideNote* This is a work computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Rory Archibald 19,060 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-11T16:40:43+00:00

    Did you have Excel closed when you deleted the .exd file? Do you remember where it was?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-11T15:21:56+00:00

    I'm having all the same issues with the ActiveX objects in Excel. I tried the fix mentioned above. when I search I only found one .exd file and after deleting it, it hasn't solved the issue in Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments